Lewistown, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
We’ve struggled this summer with metals in our pool. We had to add water from our well until we found a leak. But now we have metal staining on our white fiberglass pool. I’ve used Ascorbic acid to clean it up and then Pro Team metal magic. It still reoccurs every few weeks and then I repeat the process. We are thinking of closing our pool in the next few weeks which has me worried about what I’m going to find come spring time. Should I put a sequestering agent in the water before closing? Will that work all winter until it’s time to open in the spring?

Your first priority will be closing to an algae-free pool which will require an elevated FC level, so that won't be a good time for a sequestrant. You could do that early enough to allow the FC to fall about halfway to SLAM level, then add a Polyquat 60 algaecide and a sequestrant at that time. It should last longer that way. Your signature is blank, but depending on your pool type, ccver if used) and amount of water lowered and/or rain/snow accumulations, you might get lucky and lower the iron level a bit by next spring. But if you have to do another AA next season, try to do it as early as possible while the water is still cold.

Thanks for the advice! We have a mesh cover so we usually drain to just below the skimmer box and it refills with rain and snow over winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.