Metal stain removal and borates

May 13, 2018
Matthews NC
Hi all!
Fairly new to tfp. We have been dealing with significant metal staining on and off since last summer. They returned again this year as the water has started to warm up.
CYA was over 300 at pool opening, so we did three partial drain and refills. I've been working on getting my water fully balanced and my free chlorine down to more normal range. Current test results:
FC 8
CC 0
pH 7.4
ALK 90
Ch 130
CYA 80
Water temp 76.1

I realize that cya is still higher than we prefer, but after 3 partial drains, I can't drain and refill again... And down from 300, we will call that a win. Calcium hardness is low as well, but I understand with vinyl liners that we should not add to raise it.

I'm ready to remove staining again. I have 2 quarts of proteam metal magic. I've been waiting till my free chlorine was down, as they suggest, and I've got some polyquat60 to add to the pool as an algae preventative. Any tips??

Additionally, We were reading about adding borates to the pool before the staining returned this last time, my question is, with everything in Balance now, should I add borate before we treat the staining? Or after, once water is rebalanced?

Sorry so long-winded! I always appreciate all your help

Some of those benefits are overstated IMO. You can prevent algae and have sparkling water just by keeping the FC in the proper range for your CYA.

Do you have a problem with the pH rising? It not, I would not worry about adding borates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.