Wylie, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I just signed a contract on a new pool. Last few months I have been immersed in all things pools. Learning and soaking up everything I could and now that we have signed the contract, the big waiting game has begun. I was looking over the design and thinking to myself I would really like to see some fence options, landscape options added to the design the Pool builders came up with. I though about asking my PB if he could add that stuff into the 3D renderings so I could see what it would look like.. I am sure they have better things to do though.. I felt I had a bit of void to fill now that I am not going over proposals with a fine tooth comb. I am in the software business for a living, and I have been really impressed with the software all these pool builders use which is Pool Studio by Structure Studios. So instead of bugging my PB I went and download the trial version of Pool Studio this past Sunday. I was very impressed , it is very intuitive and easy to use (and expensive) .. Well long story short I signed up for a subscription and recreated the exact pool design in my yard the PB did and added landscape to my hearts content. Would love everyone feedback and ideas! The first photo is what the PB gave me, and the next 3 are the ones I created from scratch in my personal copy of Pool Studio. I would love to get some feedback on design and recommendations on what type of landscape is good, or not good around pools!

Attachments

• Pool-FinalDesign.jpg
    Pool-FinalDesign.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 32
  • OurPool_003.jpg
    OurPool_003.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 34
  • OurPool_004.jpg
    OurPool_004.jpg
    658.5 KB · Views: 35
  • OurPool_005.jpg
    OurPool_005.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 35
Nice job recreating the pool! I'll give my thoughts. I love landscaping though I'm not in your region so my specific suggestions will not be that helpful.

First, plant as many oak trees and crape myrtles as close to the pool as you can...

Oh, sorry, that's for the people I don't like.

I'd recommend not having any grass inside of fence. Landscape that whole area and either use mulch or stone. I personally don't like stone because I change things up too often. And weeds come up through stone and managing debris in it can be a real pain. But for a more static landscape of more shrubs than perennials, it can work well. Decide on the type of look you are going for. Relaxed, formal, crowded, sparse, large blocks of plants or variety, kid/dog friendly, etc. Consider other things that need to happen in the area. Play, access, etc. Then decide if you have any views to block. Be sure to consider, for shrubs and trees, their estimated size in 10-20 years (if pruned maintained - as appropriate for each specific item). Consider water needs/drought tolerance. And most of all being near a pool, consider the litter each plant/tree produces. And how does the space inside the fence interact with areas outside of the fence regarding visibility and function. Cost is the least important factor. Pick the right stock, and place them correctly, and your lifetime cost and appreciation of the landscape will be lowest and highest respectively. So think master plan first, then work your way down eventually to plant selection.

Here's a view of our pool landscape 8 years in. Many things have been tweaked/changed.

Thanks for the great feedback!! Funny thing is I have 4 crape myrtles around the pool in those renderings.. :) They thrive here in North Texas..

And of course you'll want to think long and hard about planting palms. Their is a reoccurrence period of damaging cold weather in your region of between 10 and 30/40 years, depending on what you define as damaging cold. Though that frequency could change. If you love palms and can deal with the disappointment and cost of replacement occasionally during the life of your pool, that's the tradeoff.

Our large crape myrtle is about 40' away to it's center and downhill. Since they don't get overly tall, that works pretty well for us. I have an oak that is getting some size to it (17 years), which is about 40' away to it's center and it will eventually cause debris. It does a little now. But I also have an autocover for use as needed and likely won't be here (at this house) in 20, or far fewer, years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.