Messed up - frozen pool

pcm2a

Aug 25, 2017
Mt Juliet, Tn
Ever since I got a variable speed pump, when it's going to be freezing I just run the pump 24/7 instead of using the freeze mode. I hated the pump turning off and of and the valves changing over and over. So much easier to just run it all the time.....unless you mess up. It was back above freezing so I had it turning off for 8 hours at night. It got down into the 15-20 range and I guess that was enough to freeze some of the pipes. Not bursting but enough that water couldn't flow through when it came on this morning.

I've thrown a billion blankets all over it to try to keep anything from getting any worse, but I'm wondering if there are any extra steps I should do. I could try to put some space heaters out there, under the blankets. I'm sure that's not a fire hazard. As far as above freezing enough to be melted would probably be by Sunday.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 11.58.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 11.58.03 AM.png
    230.2 KB · Views: 23
Ideally a short tent made with a tarp would be best. A simple old skool shop light (or even a few) would probably keep it above freezing. All the new LED ones don't put off heat.

It ain't gotta be pretty. Some rando combo of a lawn chair, scrap 2x4s / pvc pipe and some bricks to hold down the edges. If it looks stupid but works......... :goodjob:

If you can open valves/basket lid that might allow some room for expansion when it starts to melt. If you are still in Mt. Juliet it looks like it won't get above freezing until Saturday afternoon sometime.

You might be able to get some chicken coop warmers...they can *usually* be safely used near blankets/etc.

To get that lid on and off normally takes a lot of force. With it frozen I would be scared of damage. Is it worth trying to hair dryer the top for a while, to melt it then remove the lid?

I've created a fortress out of baby gates and a dolly. Covered with a thousand blankets. I got some space heaters and drop lights under it. Don't forward to OSHA.

Attachments

• 20220121_142636.jpg
    20220121_142636.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220121_142622.jpg
    20220121_142622.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Newdude
Thanks a lot for the tips, it's fixed! Inside shanty town it was really toasty. I hair dryer the lids and they came right off, there was not near as much ice as I was anticipating. I turned the pump on and you could see it moving some ice and water was flowing, I set the pump speed on low. After a few minutes it was running normal and I turned the speed back up. 10 minutes later everything looks back to normal.

I'm leaving the shanty town up at least until tomorrow, better safe than sorry, and it's cold I don't want to take it down.

Thanks a lot for the tips, it's fixed! Inside shanty town it was really toasty. I hair dryer the lids and they came right off, there was not near as much ice as I was anticipating. I turned the pump on and you could see it moving some ice and water was flowing, I set the pump speed on low. After a few minutes it was running normal and I turned the speed back up. 10 minutes later everything looks back to normal.

I'm leaving the shanty town up at least until tomorrow, better safe than sorry, and it's cold I don't want to take it down.
Gonna be really cold through the end of the month it sounds like. Keep shanty town up for a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.