Members In Florida - Particularly Central Florida - Horrific Pollen Problem

bxcrwlly

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 3, 2012
Central Florida
My pool has recently been plagued with accumulation of Cypress and Oak Pollen. The stuff sinks to the bottom and collects on the side. I can easily brush and vacuum it away; however, it returns with a vengeance especially when the wind blows with high velocity. My home & pool backs up to a wet conservation area with many(hundreds) of predominately Cypress mixed with Oak and other types of trees. The stuff doesn't filter well. I've been brushing and vacuuming multiple times a week, of late, and washing the filter each time to keep it clean. It has a tendency to turn the pool water into an Aqua color. I initially, thought this was Mustard Algae; however, it does not present with the usual Mustard Algae attributes. More like a fine powder that finds it's way into the pool on a recurring basis. Interestingly enough; we've lived in the same location for 7 years and until recently haven't had this issue. Suspect tree maturing or possible other enviro factors have contributed but not sure. My neighbor also has a similar issue.

Anyone else in a similar environment experiencing this issue? Interested to know if you've found a way to permanently rid the pool of the problem.

Be positive it is pollen and not dead algae. Mustard algae IS a fine powder so I am not sure why you eliminated it.

Can you provide test results and/or a pic?

Duraleigh...thanks for the quick response. I suspect pollen only because the same "powdery" substance is on the pavers and some outdoor furniture and around the lanai. I wouldn't expect Mustard Algae to present other than in the pool. Since I brushed and vacuumed yesterday, will await for additional accumulations and try to get a good pic and attach to posting.

Duraleigh.....Here's my numbers for the last couple of days;
3/30/18 - FC 8.5, PH 7.7, TA70, CH525, CYA60, Salt 4050, Bor 30, Temp 83
3/28/18 - FC 8, PH 7.6, TA70, CH525, CYA60, Salt 3900, Bor 30, Temp 84j
I added about 150 gals of tap water. High in PH ie. 8.0

Your test results certainly don't indicate an algae issue. If you have kept your FC around that same level for the last weeks or so, I think you can be sure it's pollen.

Pine pollen in NC was my nemesis and all I could do was ride it out. Seems like the season was BAD for only 2 weeks or so.

Skimmer socks or simple disposable hair covers found on Amazon really help isolate the pollen from your filter.

I get skimmer socks full of the fluffy wet stuff, its kinda creepy looking. :pukel:

Maddie :flower:
+1 on the use of hairnets in skimmer. I'm in FL and understand the oak pollen issue. I used hairnets last year and those captured a lot of the pollen. I was replacing those at least twice a week and sometimes more.

- - - Updated - - -

Duraleigh.....Here's my numbers for the last couple of days;
3/30/18 - FC 8.5, PH 7.7, TA70, CH525, CYA60, Salt 4050, Bor 30, Temp 83
3/28/18 - FC 8, PH 7.6, TA70, CH525, CYA60, Salt 3900, Bor 30, Temp 84j
I added about 150 gals of tap water. High in PH ie. 8.0

Any reason you have your CH so high? Also strange to see your salt level increase in span of two days. Did you add any salt to pool? Just from my experience my salt remains pretty static for months, until we get the rainy season and then it drops by a few hundred.

+1 on the use of hairnets in skimmer. I'm in FL and understand the oak pollen issue. I used hairnets last year and those captured a lot of the pollen. I was replacing those at least twice a week and sometimes more.

- - - Updated - - -

Any reason you have your CH so high? Also strange to see your salt level increase in span of two days. Did you add any salt to pool? Just from my experience my salt remains pretty static for months, until we get the rainy season and then it drops by a few hundred.

BobandSherry....CH has historically been high since pool opening 7 years ago. Initially I was concerned, then posted on this site and a member expert responded that as long as I keep my PH around 7.5 or so, the Calcium won't be a problem even at high levels. The only choice I have for lowering is to drain water.

Salt level varies according to water temperature. Usually the higher the water temperature the more accurate salt reading I obtain on the Easy Touch system. About once a quarter I compare to a manual test and am usually within a couple hundred ppm's of the Easy Touch.

What's weird about the pollen, is that for almost 6 years of having the pool, we never had an issue. Then last year it started on/off and now continues. Guess I'll continue with skimmer socks more frequent brushing and vacuuming and frequent filter cleaning to control the amount in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What's weird about the pollen, is that for almost 6 years of having the pool, we never had an issue. Then last year it started on/off and now continues. Guess I'll continue with skimmer socks more frequent brushing and vacuuming and frequent filter cleaning to control the amount in the pool.
Last year was first spring since building our pool so nothing to compare with. But community has Live Oaks as street trees so I just kind of expected that. However, no much this year yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.