Maytronics Dolphin Triton PS Plus failure (Error: DC in Voltage)

tenderfoot

Bronze Supporter
Aug 10, 2017
North/TX
My Maytronics Dolphin Triton PS Plus cleaner just failed on me after 4 seasons of very light use. It did not stay in the pool more than one night at a time and I did not run it more than probably once per week (if that!). It also did not stay exposed to the sun here in north Texas. It cleaned well when it worked.

I have the power supply unit that has the Bluetooth connectivity, which I am glad I chose because it provides error diagnostics to the "My Dolphin" phone app. The error I am seeing is "Error: DC in Voltage".

The unit basically cleans the pool for about 6 minutes and then it stops. When that happens, the power supply lights are still on, just as if the cleaner were still doing its job. The app, despite having the error notification, also shows as if the robot is still cleaning.

I have also tested the robot by placing it upside down, outside the pool, and turning it on as if it were to do a full pool clean cycle. The unit runs for 6 minutes and then it powers off. During those minutes, the wheels turn for some time in one direction and then they go the other way. I can also hear the impeller turning ON and running for a few seconds while the wheels are turning. At other points during the 6 minutes, the wheels stop turning and then the impeller turns ON, runs for a few seconds and then the wheels start turning again. All seems normal. Then after 6 minutes, it shuts off. Sometimes it shuts off without giving the diagnostic error in the "My Dolphin" app and other times it does report the error.

Anyhow, has anyone successfully fixed this problem? Did you have to purchase a new motor unit?

I disassembled the motor unit, and it all looks nice and dry in there, even the dessicate bag was fully dry. So I don't think the issue is due to water having found its way into this water tight compartment. Incidentally, if I stay with one of these units, in future I intend to take apart the motor unit as part of regular maintenance because there are two seals which I think need to be lubricated periodically in order to keep the water out.

I am going to take the robot to my friend's house tomorrow and connect it to his power supply, just so I can rule out that part.

Last edited:
Very disappointing to hear abut your robot problem, especially considering they are a healthy investment to begin with. You haven't received a reply, and the forum is a little quieter now this time of year, but I thought I'd check to see if you made any progress or still need help.

Hi thanks for reminding me about providing an update.

I did take the robot to my friends house. And connected it to his power supply. The robot did the same thing. So the power supply is unlikely the issue, but I am not yet discounting it altogether.

Anyway, I took the robot apart again, but this time I removed the electronics board, and started to research on the electronics. We'll see if that leads somewhere.

Did you test the continuity of the cable and check the cable connections? You can also switch on the power supply when the robot is unplugged and check the voltages on the pins. It could be the PS is fine but there’s something wrong with the cable and there’s a voltage drop on the line. If you have one of those swivel cables, those swivel connectors go bad all the time. Check all connections for clean, healthy contacts.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hi. Yes, I tested the continuity on the cables and also the voltages coming off the power supply.

My hunch is that either the motors are pulling too much current at some point or that the programming on the CPU has gone haywire due to a bug in the firmware.
My cable is not a swivel one...

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Did you pull any of the motors and check them? Both my impeller pump motor was bad and my drive motor. I was able to rebuild the pump motor but the drive motor is not serviceable and Maytronics does not sell replacement internal components. You have to buy a whole new motor assembly or a new robot, that’s their policy. I decided to ditch using robots and went back to my old suction cleaner for that reason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.