LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have an Active 10 I had for a few months so it is under warranty which I prefer not to void.. It has been acting odd lately and not sure what to do as I need it for another month or so.

First I saw last night where there was some long hair around the impeller, not much but it was there and I removed the little duct looking thing and got the hair out (I have not tried it yet).
So here is what it started doing, not sure if it is related to the impeller.
1) It runs to the wall forward goes vertical and reverses, goes maybe a foot in reverse and goes forward again, goes vertical, reverses. It does this like 5-6 times reminds me of a 3-stooges comedy.
2) when going I think in reverse it is not going straight always, like a slight semi circle, the tracks both appear spinning and if I slightly move the roller when it is out both tracks spin. It did throw a track once.
3) When it is going forward sometimes it runs a wheelie the length of the pool so the brush is not touching the floor, only when in reverse
4) Recently (Last 2 times) I don't feel it is changing directions like it used to, where it goes forward and reverse and pivots. it just goes back and forth, I have steel sided oval and when it hits the wall it slightly turns the bot and it goes back.
5) I have a lot of fine dust in my pool I was hoping the ultra fine filter would get it off the bottom but it seems like the bot just blows it around since the brush is only touching the floor going in reverse in most cases. My sand filter is not catching it. I do put a skimmer sock on and that seems to help a little. The ultra find basket is filling with the green dust (my water is clear and I did not have an algae bloom at all) and I see it when hosing it out.

So what I did last night was hosed it out real good, cleaned the filter real good (I do after every use and it is ultra fine filter). Then I looked closely and saw hair in the impeller, so I grasped what I could with needle nose and pulled them out, then took off that little cover and did a more thorough job. Could the hair be causing this issue or is this symptomatic of a bigger issue?
I did not disassemble further and remove the impeller completely, not sure if I should or return it. Fortunately I bought from a local dealer but they may tell me it is normal. The only thing I added was the ultra fine basket.

We've seen hairy impellers absolutely can cause mobility issues. I reach in with two fingers and grab the dog fur off after each run since I don't keep it in the pool. Amount of debris in the filters or basket seems to have little if any effect on mobility, at least within reason. Let us know.

Cleaning the hair out did help, it is still riding a mini wheelie forward where the brush is slightly above the liner, but when it goes backwards it still goes in an arc direction. Going forward it is ok. I almost feel as those the treads are out of line causing the arc in in direction. Like a timing issue if there was more slack on one side than the other. I guess I ca try to count the treads. I do have a call into the store but they have not gotten back yet.

Something definitely doesn’t sound right on its activity.

My local store has been in contact with Maytronics so progress is being made, and they are talking about changing out the pump. I am waiting to hear back. I still don't think that will solve the problem of it doing a hard turn in reverse (previously it was an arc), Now I noticed the power supply is getting really warm. Before anyone comments, the bot does not stay in the pool, it is 3 months old, I take it out, hose it, clean the filter and let the filter dry before the next run. Removing the hair on the impeller did allow it to pivot again once it gets out of the wall hitting cycle, but it still goes back and forth against the wall like a 3 stooges comedy. It bumps into wall, goes vertical, reverses a foot or 2, bumps wall, goes vertical, over and over.

The most upsetting part is I have dust on bottom that is primarily just swoooshes around since it runs a wheelie forward, and I have the ultrafine filter which I feel is not working since the brush is blowing the dust every which way. I can't keep vacuuming to waste as I have a neighbor issue.

Trust the process and in the end you’ll have a robot that does a great job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.