Massive rain over past 7-10 days

NoobDude

Bronze Supporter
Jun 14, 2020
New York
I posted about a week ago how my pool filled up about 3-4 inches after a huge rain. We’ve had a good 3 more huge storms. The pool was overflowing and I had to start pumping water out. Now my levels are messed up and the water is slightly cloudy too.

ph: 7.8 maybe 7.9
Cya: 30
Chlorine: 0. The sample doesn’t even turn pink when i add the powder. I just turned the chlorine generation up to 80% From 40%. 2 weeks ago my chlorine was a constant 10+.
TA: 200
Salt: 3000

using Taylor test kit

Last edited:
Since your water is clouded I would manually add liquid chlorine to bring the FC to a SLAM level.

SWGs are not meant to keep up with huge chlorine losses or bring up the FC from very low levels. They are meant to simply maintain a proper level. Liquid chlorine is the fastest to do this.

Liquid chlorine, when added to the pool is PH neutral. Worry about your chlorine levels first, as you may be on the verge of an algae outbreak. PH and TA have nothing to do with water sanitation.
But if you want to lower the PH before slamming, it's not a bad idea, but add at least 5ppm worth of FC in the meantime.

SLAM FC level for CYA 30 is 12ppm, for CYA 60 it's 24ppm.
Personally I would slam with 30ppm CYA and once that is complete, bring the CYA to 60ppm or more.
Either way the outcome will be the same, just the amount of chlorine needed will be greater with higher CYA.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.