Major leak in skimmer lines-complete DIY replace?

dzl13

Jul 29, 2014
okc
Setup: 33K gallon in ground circa 1982 (replaster 2016)
single speed Pentair pump, DE filter.
1 jandy-1 side main drain, other side both skimmers
1.5" lines throughout

After babying my cracked skimmer lines along for 3 seasons, it appears that they have gone far enough. When I put the valve on skimmers only it sucks air, like enough where my pump loses its prime. Changing to the main drain is fine. Additionally I've never been able to use a vacuum on them as they pull air and fail. I have a wood deck around the pool so I can in theory dig under the skimmers and attach new pvc lines. My question is what's the best approach? I was told there was no point in a variable speed pump due to my 1.5" lines.

If I connect new lines to the skimmers do I go 2"? I assume I should bring both skimmer lines to the pump individually correct?
How deep must the be buried? This could be an issue. In the winter I drain everything below my jets and blow out the suction lines. Does the skimmer need to be X feet above the pump?
Just looking for some tips.

Thank you.

I was told there was no point in a variable speed pump due to my 1.5" lines.
Total nonsense. You can use and benefit from a variable speed pump.

If I connect new lines to the skimmers do I go 2"? I assume I should bring both skimmer lines to the pump individually correct?
Yes and Yes

How deep must the be buried? This could be an issue. In the winter I drain everything below my jets and blow out the suction lines.
I would go below the frost line to avoid any issues but no less than 2'. There might be a city code for this.

Does the skimmer need to be X feet above the pump?
No. The lower the better for priming reasons.

I agree but I dont see the benefit in 2" lines after the fact. If all your plumbing is 1.5 now and the skimmers will not be changed to 2" skimmers I would just do 1.5 for it all for the simple fact it's cheaper and easier to use one size fittings and pipe. If you plan to update pump then now would be the time to do it and use 2" pipe and manifold to your new pump which will likely have 2" unions on it. And use jandy neverlubes if you do it

If the OP is going to the expense of replacing underground pipe anyway, it seems silly to skimp on pipe size given the cost difference is so little. The benefits will far outweight the costs.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I should have asked this originally but would you all suggest trying to find the leak? I had it quoted a year ago and it was $500 to find it within 2' and only 1 leak, meaning that if it was fixed and there was an additional smaller leak that would not be covered, oh and the $500 didn't include any repair work.

Reactions: PeaceTree
Suction side leaks are seldom underground. They can be but it's a rarity.

Clearly, I would find the leak before I did anything. There is an article in Pool School "Suction Side Leaks" that may help you.

Is this the same leak you posted in 2014 and again in 2015?

Rephrase.....this is certainly the same leak you posted in 2014 and again in 2015. It must be pretty small, right? Do you think it is getting bigger?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.