Maintaining pool first year - general questions

Hi,

Originally I left the default (by mistake) of 4.0. Driving many hours today it occurred to me to change that to 10 which I did upon coming home an hour ago. My new test tonight shows no chlorine because the sun ate it up today and 1 1/3 jugs wasn't enough.

The pool calculator is now telling me to put in 271 oz of 8.25% bleach which I'll do tonight, then test again in the morning. I'll buy much more tomorrow, but put in the 2 2/3 jugs I have tonight.

The pool looks very clear, but still some algae.

Thanks for all your help,
Karen

Hi,

As of 9 am on Saturday morning - no algae (the teensy bit yesterday came right off). Continuing the SLAMing process:

FC = 5.0
CC = 0.5
TC = 5.5

The pool calculator says to add 136 oz of 8.25% bleach which I will do.

Crystal clear water - beautiful. Getting there and thanks to all.

Karen

Are you sure of that you're reaching and *maintaining* the higher level of CL required during the SLAM process to kill off all the algae? THis isn't a one time addition, but rather should be done repeatedly through the day/night if possible to *keep* that higher level up for the extended period.
Your CL level of 5.5 still sounds entirely too low for this process. How often are you testing? Once a day is NOT enough during a SLAM.

I just reread the entire thread.

You are not SLAMing the pool.

If your FC gets below 10ppm, you need to add bleach. If it gets to 3 or 2, you are moving backwards. 10ppm is your hard floor. If you get below 10, you are letting algae regain a hold of your pool.

Target 12ppm. Dose the pool, then test an hour later. Redose to bring it back to 12. Test an hour later. Redose to bring it back to 12. Repeat this until your "hour later" test shows 10ppm. Redose to bring it back to 12. Test 3 hours later. Repeat. Once your FC starts dropping more slowly, you can space the tests out farther and farther.

During your hour waits, reread this.