Maintaining FC

Mintypool

May 28, 2019
NJ
Hey so I switched to using liquid chlorine this summer. Pool has been crystal clear and I add 10% Pool Essentials chlorine daily to a target FC 7-8. I typically have to add 2 to 3 quarts, maybe a full gallon once in a while when it’s been hot in NJ and I may go down to FC 4 which previous post answers have said is typical. My timer broke on the filter so I have to manually turn on/off usually about 4 hrs every morning.
We are planning to go away for 3 days and I want to maintain pool well. So do I raise the FC way up the day before I leave and to what level? I do have some pucks from the beginning of this summer before I started using liquid chlorine but since the timer is broken I can’t put them in the chlorinator so I can buy a chlorinator for in the pool. How many pucks should I put in if this the option to not screw up the CYA so I can resume using liquid chlorine when I return? Or do a combination of both?
Thanks in advance.

You can increase the FC to SLAM level at departure. That should buy you a couple days of good chlorination, maybe even three days before it hits the minimum. If your CYA isn't too high, you can place a couple tabs in a floater or chlorinator as insurance to be safe. Two tabs should increase the CYA by about 3 ppm of so. Not a deal-breaker. Happy trails. :)

Reactions: Mintypool
+ what Texas Splash said.
Before we left for our weekend trip, we brought the FC level up to shock and then shut down the pool and covered it with the solar cover. When we got back and I checked the pool Tuesday, the FC was above recommended but below shock level. It looks good, stirred it up, brushed it and its good to go. Probably the same will work for you. Hope you have a great trip.

Reactions: Mintypool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.