Main pump humming (electrical sound) and not working anymore

After you've completely cleaned from the impeller area, put her all back together, turn on breaker and try starting her
OK, taking it off and checking for damage of the diffuser.
If all else is ok then take a look at the switch on the back of the motor shaft as it may not be turning on the start winding. Because it is hot makes me think this.
Before I put it back together, how do I locate this switch? There is a black thing that has 230 on it and it looks like it might be a jumper, but not familiar enough with these things to be certain. I don't see a way to "switch" it per se.

The diffuser is not correct. Reach in where the front of the diffuser lines up with the hole and remove the front part of the diffuser.
After taking the three screws out and removing the cover, I tried to pull off the next part by pulling on the center at the hole and nothing budged. Is that supposed to come off? Do you have to lever it off with a screw driver? IMG_1357.jpeg

Keep in mind you do not have the original motor, and he is using a cut-away demo pump, but the steps for removing the impeller are what you need.
Remind me, why do I need to remove the impeller? Is that the only way to clean it properly? Do I have to remove all the seals and get completely down to the motor? I am not sure I have the tool to hold the motor still while unscrewing the impeller shaft screw (the one that is threaded opposite).

The front part of the diffuser broke off and is stuck in the front part of the pump.
I am thoroughly missing anything that appears to be broken, but I guess that answers the question I just posed to zea3. I guess I have to get the diffuser and impeller off to see if the broken part is in there ...? Or if not, at any rate, get a replacement part.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the front of the pump where the hole goes to the pump basket. The part attached to the plumbing.

The front part of the diffuser is stuck in the hole that leads to the basket.

Compare to this picture to see the missing part. It's stuck in the hole going to the basket. Don't remove the impeller.

pentair_challenger_.75_hp_-_1.5_hp_diffuser_355188.jpg

Last edited:
I removed that reverse threaded screw, but the impeller won’t budge. I didn’t touch the back of it. The big bolt running through the center all the way to the back turns with the impeller. The only other place I can see to make headway are these hex bolts on back side of the head.
In the front of the pump where the hole goes to the pump basket. The part attached to the plumbing.

The front part of the diffuser is stuck in the hole that leads to the basket.

Compare to this picture to see the missing part. It's stuck in the hole going to the basket. Don't remove the impeller.

pentair_challenger_.75_hp_-_1.5_hp_diffuser_355188.jpg
Well, I was successful in removing the impeller, oops! In the course of wrangling it off, against my own better judgement, I stuck a screwdriver inside to get some leverage (didn't work). It chipped off a little piece. Went back to the video and decided that our hand holding of the back screw while trying to remove the impeller was not going to work. Put an adjustable wrench on that back screw and managed to get the impeller off. Do I need to buy an new impeller? It had a small separation before the screw driver and it appears to have a little bit of white debris (cellulose?) in it.IMG_1361.jpeg

I see the broken part and removed it. That explains the water leak we have been seeing ... (embarrassingly) for awhile.

IMG_1362.jpeg

Does the motor start now?

Don't try to start it if you don't feel comfortable doing that while it's apart.

You're going to need a new impeller and diffuser and a capacitor if it won't start.

That pump is really oversized. Maybe it's time to consider switching to a variable speed pump?

Does the motor start now?

Don't try to start it if you don't feel comfortable doing that while it's apart.

You're going to need a new impeller and diffuser and a capacitor if it won't start.

That pump is really oversized. Maybe it's time to consider switching to a variable speed pump?
OK, I can flip breaker, go outside and flip switch and see if the thing turns over and turn it right off.

You need the impeller, diffuser, seal and all new O-rings.

Don't start the motor unless you can do it safely.

I would seriously consider replacing the pump with a variable speed pump.

That pump uses a lot of energy. You will save a lot of money with a variable speed pump.

You need the impeller, diffuser, seal and all new O-rings.

Don't start the motor unless you can do it safely.

I would seriously consider replacing the pump with a variable speed pump.

That pump uses a lot of energy. You will save a lot of money with a variable speed pump.
Researching the VS pumps. We have a sweep, for which we have a booster pump. Does that whole thing work with the VS pump? I guess if we got a 1.5HP VS, it would run at full force with the booster when sweeping and once we turn off sweeping, it would drop back to lower speed.

Booster pumps don't require much flow. You can run the variable speed pump on low when the booster is on.

Check out the available rebates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.