Main Drain Only Creates Starving Pump - VIDEO LINK INCLUDED

May 1, 2013
I proposed this question last year and looked for an exposed leak through recommended methods and didn't locate anything. I would love some additional input on potential causes of this. Here is what I know.

1. I opened up the pool for the season and ran it off the main drain only because the water level was not yet up to skimmers. For 20 minutes it filled the pump reservoir and ran fine. Then it started hitting a point where it was starving for water and kept having to prime itself. Now, rarely can I get it to run properly for minutes at at a time. It is almost always starving and priming when running on the main drain only. See video link below.

2. When the water level reached the skimmers, I left both valves all the way open and the reservoir stayed completely full for multiple days. This tells me that there isn't an air leak in the main drain because the problem does not occur when both valves are open. It is water deprivation problem not an air introduction problem.

3. The issue is that most of the water is likely being pulled from the skimmers and it is delaying my water getting cleared up for the season. I want to run it primarily on the main drain. And, in the first years of my pool ownership I was able to do this. This is an issue that has showed up in the last year or so.

What could be causing the pump to starve for water when running on main drain only? I have a drain cover on the main drain. The only thing I can come up with is that there is something intermittently blocking the flow of water. Perhaps a piece of concrete broke off under the drain cover and is blocking the inlet? Any ideas pool pros?

Here is a video of what is occurring. Thank you very much for the assistance.

Main Drain Starving Pump - YouTube

Since it worked before, either a partial clog or pump wearing out and not able to pull as much head? I know my pump will not pull well on main drain only, but i dont usually try that, except when draining water from pool. i'm not sure mine was ever able to do that, if it was, i dont remember.

No. 3. Funny. i want more flow through the skimmer when i am trying to clear the pool. different strokes, etc.

It just made sense to pull water from low and dump it on top. I feel that if I am pulling from the skimmers it isn't cleaning the water down low as well. It is pulling from high and dropping high. Is the consensus different on this?

The pump wearing out is definitely something to consider. Could very well be. Thank you.

I know what the OP is talking about. My main drain starves the pump and loses prime, even when 1 of 2 skimmers is being pulled from at the same time. Brand new VS pump this year, and still can't pull from the main drain.

For me, it's also about heating the pool. I'd prefer to pull most of the cold water from bottom to heat more quickly and efficiently. This weekend, I'm doing diverter valve maintenance and, while I'm at it, sticking a Drain King and likely air compressor into all of the lines from the valve connection points to flush/blow them out.

My theory is partial obstruction... could be silt and algae built up over years. With little flow, that stuff will not be drawn up to the pump basket. As I work toward automation, I'm planning a brief, off-peak cycle that pulls heavily from the main drain (if not entirely) with the express purpose of keeping the pipes clear.

Then again, I am a silly man. Just ask my wife! :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.