Main drain Clog

bigdave

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2007
Boise Idaho
I drained my pool to sand the bottom of the shallow end, we did this because a bad contractor acid washed the pool and created a surface that would rip the skin of my kids feet.

My kids and I got started and everything finished great. I had a pump in deep end pumping water into the yard. After a while I realized it was also getting into the main drains. So I plugged both of them with winter plugs. The pool has been empty for about a week. I used a drain snake to run between the drains with no issues. So I buttoned everything up and started filling.

I tried to startup the pump with only the main line open and the pool 1/2 full at this point and I can not prime the pump and get water to flow. Does the pool have to be full for main drain to suck water? It almost feels like the main drain is clogged with sanded plaster and water that has been sitting in it. I tried to snake from the pump side but too many 90's. I got an endoscope about the same distance, but again only about 1/4 the way.

I was thinking of calling a leak or plumber, but wanted to reach out to this team. I tried to blow water down it, but it didn't seem to do much. I was thinking of blowing air tomorrow as another option. The system has not run since it was winterized last fall.

Any ideas? Maybe poor muratic acid down the pipe from the pump side? I can access this line from the multiport housing.

Last edited:
You'll probably need to close the skimmer valve or put a plug in to the skimmer and that's if you have a direct line from the main drain. Some pools have it through the skimmer and then it goes to the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.