Main Drain/Circulation

Strollo22

Jun 9, 2020
New York
Hey all,
Been pondering this for a while and figured I would ask the experts. Several years back before I took control of the pool, my main drain was closed up due to a leak. Liner has since been replaced and covered over where drain was. It’s an older inground Vinyl with only 2 skimmers and 2 returns, on opposite sides (18x38). As you can imagine, circulation in the deep end is quite poor and I’m wondering if there is anything that I can do to help circulate the water better?
Thank you all in advance

I have a similar situation. Our pool has 2 skimmers and 2 returns, all on the same side of the pool. I have one return pointed down to the deep end and the other aimed slightly up to move water around the top of the pool. Surprisingly it works quite well. When I am swimming in the deep end at the bottom (about 8') I can actually feel water moving from the return pointed down. Its not a lot of movement, but it is moving. Another thing I though of was to hook up the vacuum hose and just set the hose in the deep end. You could attach it to the vacuum head or use something else to weigh it down. Being that you have 2 skimmers, one would skim the top and the other would suck from the bottom. Don't close one skimmer as if you were vacuuming, by leaving them both open you will get more water turnover.

I’ve definitely done the vacuum in the deep end trick when I power Vac and it works but wouldn’t want to leave it in constantly. In my deep end I feel nothing at all other then cold spots from the lack of water movement :laughblue:

Maybe you're lucky like I was. I discovered that ½" PVC fittings are a snug friction fit inside my eyeballs. I rammed a side-outlet elbow into one. So now one side directs flow parallel to the wall and the other directs water down to the deep end.

21sN-Tm3V2L._AC_.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.