Magic Erasers -Are they safe to use on, and in your pool or not?

Crackerjack4u

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 17, 2015
Kentucky
This is being written as a stand alone Thread, but the topic is also being discussed, and some of my info here is also in the other particular Thread as well. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/104454-Bought-a-Pool-and-it-came-with-a-houses/page4
The OP of the linked Thread above has left a message on the topic on the Magic Eraser web site, and is awaiting their answer too. So hopefully, he will include the information he receives in the comments of this Thread, as well.

Here's how the Questioning began: Earlier today I was going to suggest that a Magic Eraser may be useful in a pool to remove some dark marks on the bottom of the pool. But then I got to thinking I wonder what the heck is in the Magic Erasers, and do they like to play nice with the bleach that I know is in there already. So before I suggested this as a possible solution to removing something from the bottom of the pool, containing chlorine, I set of to find out for sure IF they are SAFE to use with the bleach in contact.

I've heard so many people say how beneficial they are, and how well they work in cleaning about anything, pool stuff, included. The magic erasers work well on areas with hard to remove marks on the outside of the pool. But are they really safe?

Here is what I ran across so far: I've found that outside the pool Yes, in direct contact with the bleach, however, is not advisable.

There is actually no active ingredient listed on the box of Magic Erasers which I noticed when checking on my box here. So I set out searching for answers to ensure there would be no chemical reactions between the active ingredient in the Magic Eraser, and the bleach in the pool.

Turns out Magic Eraser wasn't originally even made to clean, it was made as an "insulator/fire retardant" that just happened to end up also being an excellent cleaning tool too. Also it Turns out there is no active ingredient on the box because there is none in the Magic Eraser itself. According to the article linked below the "active ingredient" if you want to call it that is merely Your "elbow grease."

I'm thinking ok no active ingredient equals no chance for a chemical reaction, Right? Wrong.

It does turn out however that the Magic Eraser itself "is made of a formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfitecopolymer foam made by the German company BASF". http://www.kitchenandresidentialdesign.com/2010/06/whats-in-magic-eraser.html

According to this article http://www.themodernembalmer.com/bleach.html as well as, several other reviewed. Formaldehyde, and Bleach should Never be in contact with each other.

So the question remains is it really SAFE to use a Magic Eraser in your pool, on your pool equipment, when it will be contact with bleach, or not?

Is the percentage of Formaldehyde too low in the Magic Eraser to actually be a risk?

I suspect (just my thought so don't take it as fact) that for cleaning around the top of your pool as long as your rinse well to remove all the small Magic Eraser particles left behind the risk would be slim to none.

But if your plan is to use it to remove the ring within the waterline of your pool, or marks off the bottom of your pool containing bleach, that your risk could be significantly increased.

Anyway, that's what I've located thus far and will pass along any additional info I locate. But from a safety aspect, and wanting to ensure all my new TFP friends, remain safe at all times, I felt it important to pass the information along.

Anyone who has anything else to add, please feel free to do so. I look forward to reading the comments regarding this. Have a wonderful night :).

I'm looking forward to the info Alwayswantedapool.

LOL sounds good Woody. One can't be too careful when it comes to "dead bodies or zombies".

I use them in my tub with other cleaners that may, or may not, have bleach in them (lol I never bothered to check), and so far so good on that too. I love Magic Erasers for cleaning lots of things.

I do use one with bleach quite often, (Clorox Cleanup)and have never smelled the odor I do when bleach hits another cleaner, such as dish soap. Generally, when using a Magic Eraser, it is necessary to wipe the surface after using, as it leaves a bit of a film. Not sure how this will translate under water. I did use one on the upper part of my old Intex,because there was a black film on it. It worked well. However, they tend to fall apart on rough surfaces quite easily, you would likely see a lot of debris using one on rough plaster.

Very true PaGirl. I've had them do that too with heavy scrubbing, or rough surfaces. The actual one I had was considering recommending it for had a smooth surface, but even with a smooth surface, it they aren't changed out frequently a person could easily end up having particles of Magic Eraser in their pool, and then there is also the "film" issue that you mentioned.

As far as vinyl lined pools, smooth surfaced pools, or the Intex pool, etc. using them for the scum rings, water rings, borders, etc. would probably work well as far as the cleaning ability of the product, as long as, the person using them switched them out often before they became overly worn. I can't be certain but suspect the "film" would probably be quickly removed through dilution, and filtration, yet there is still no assurance that it would be actually Safe, chemical wise, once the Magic Eraser came in contact with the bleach in the pool.

We used them to clean white vinyl boat seats, and they worked great on the vinyl. They seemed to last relatively well from the scrubbing, but we weren't using any other products other than a bucket of plain water with them. So I don't know if using other products with them could also cause them to fall apart quicker then using them with just plain water only?

Thanks for your input PaGirl, I appreciate it. Have a wonderful night. :)

LOL wjr75, yes I see that, and I'm very glad to hear it because you could have been in danger, and weren't even aware of it. :pale: Lucky this Thread came along when it did. :) Have a wonderful night.

EDIT: LOL at Woody's comment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree on the crayons Wjr75, they are also great at removing dried permanent marker, dried paint from window sills, etc. My grandson filled out the Write on Wipe off calendar with a permanent marker, and it was Magic Eraser to the rescue.

I work at a preschool, I use them quite often, lol. Used one to clean some old wooden chairs at work just this evening. (With the Clorox Cleanup, as a matter of fact, ha.) I once used one to clean a rust stain off the hood of my car. (The box also says that's a no-no.) it was an older car, so it didn't matter.

My only gripe is that I wish they didn't disintegrate so quickly.

I agree on the crayons Wjr75, they are also great at removing dried permanent marker, dried paint from window sills, etc. My grandson filled out the Write on Wipe off calendar with a permanent marker, and it was Magic Eraser to the rescue.

Dry erase marker over the sharpie will work too! Takes it right off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Aleila
In the Champion Expanding Encyclopedia of Mortuary Practices article "Bleach in Embalming Rooms: Overrated and Overused Part 1" written by a chemist at The Champion Company:

Bleach is chemically reactive with formaldehyde and generates several gases when mixed. Chlorine gas in addition to formic acid are formed during reaction -- both evolving considerable noxious fumes. Chlorine oxides are formed and BCME (bis-chloromethylether) which is a very neurotoxic gas is possible also. In fact, the typical lab synthesis of BCME involves formaldehyde reacting with a bleach type chlorine species. Phosgene (Cl2CO) is not produced, as has been occasionally reported elsewhere.

Note, however, that formaldehyde in the Magic Eraser is not a separate chemical but one component of a polymer so will not be nearly as reactive with chlorine. Also, the above description of problems with chlorine and formaldehyde is talking about the mixing of concentrated solutions. Nevertheless, in some polymers there are often found small quantities of unreacted monomers (individual ingredients) though how much depends on the specifics of the chemical manufacturing process. This patent, for example, describes formation of a formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite resin (copolymer) that outgases less formaldehyde. This MSDS for Magic Eraser says the following under Stability and Reactivity:

Possible Hazardous Reactions/Conditions: Stable at normal temperatures and pressure.
Conditions to Avoid: Avoid heat, flames, sparks and other sources of ignition. Avoid contact with incompactible [sic] materials.
Materials to Avoid: Oxidizing materials.
Hazardous Decomposition Products: Oxides of carbon, oxides of nitrogen, oxides of sulfur, aromatic compounds, formaldehyde, hydrogen cyanide.
Other Recommendations:

The bottom line is that the active chlorine concentration in our swimming pools is equivalent to less than 0.1 ppm FC with no CYA. You should not be worrying about reactions of chlorine with the Magic Eraser. Not only are such reactions minimal due to the polymer itself, but the very low chlorine concentration makes any such reactions occur very slowly. Adding concentrated bleach to a Magic Eraser would be more of a problem, though even then the reaction rate would be fairly slow. An acidic chlorine solution such as from Trichlor or the use of chlorine gas or use of a stronger oxidizer (e.g. ammonium permanganate, chromic acid, fluorine) would be more of a problem. Again, chlorine at dilution amounts in swimming pools should not be an issue.

I used them to clean my white fiberglass stairs. The previous owner probably had never cleaned them. My family could not believe the difference! They are bright white now.

A word of advise...don't use the Walmart brand they fall part after a couple of minutes and are useless.

Thank you Chem Geek for clarifying that for me/us.

Well there you have it folks. Per Chem Geek's additional research from the source above. (Paraphrasing)- it turns out it should be safe to continue using our handy dandy Magic Erasers that we've all grown so fond of to continue to clean on, near, in, or around our pools/equipment because of the low amount of diluted bleach present.

It continues, however, to remain a possible potential for issues, and has a higher risk factor for reaction, (although it would occur "very slowly"), when Magic Erasers are being used with "Concentrated Bleach," "Chlorine Gas", or products with an "Acid Chlorine Solution such as from Trichlor."- (Which sounds like to me to be just one more reason to stay with Liquid Bleach Only :)).

Now we all know that we can continue to Safely enjoy the awesome cleaning benefits to our pool/equipment that our Magic Erasers provide.

Thank you again, Chem Geek for the information. We always so appreciate your input, extensive research, and your outstanding chemical knowledge.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.