Low than normal flow, DE Filter

Chico86

May 21, 2019
So - opened the pool 4 days ago, other than 5 pounds of dead worms, everything looked normal (pool installed 2015). Vacuumed those suckers to waste, cleaned everything, hooked up plumbing and charged my DE filter with slurry poured into the deep-end skimmer (grids were stored clean). Next morning, checked my FusionSoft control center and had a "NO FLOW" message. Undid everything looking for possible blockages (returns were flowing weakly compared to "normal"), didn't find anything.

Popped open the filter "egg" to check the grids and noticed most of the DE was lying the bottom 1/3rd of the egg. Took it all apart and cleaned the grids, reassembled and charged with DE powder added slowly to the same skimmer. Turned system on and had FLOW (yay).

Checked system 24 hrs later - NO FLOW again. Cleared skimmers, checked return outflow and felt it was weak again. Popped the "egg" open and now the DE was covering the top 1/3rd of the grids - very uneven distribution. So, my questions:

With two skimmers (shallow and deep end) and deep end suction drains, what is the best method for charging the DE grids?
- close main drain and one skimmer, add DE to other skimmer? Leave all valves open?
- run pump at lowest, medium or high speed?
- slurry or dry-add method?

My filter is a Jandy DEV48. It recommends the slurry method. How long do the grids last?

Thanks

Hi, welcome to TFP! Which skimmer is closest to the filter? I would use that skimmer to add the DE and shut off the other one. When I had a DE filter I added dry DE a scoop at a time into the skimmer. You can add DE either way. When the pump is off, it is common to see the DE has fallen off the grids. Grids should last many years. They may need to be soaked in dishwasher detergent every year or so to remove oils from lotions and sunscreen.
Something in the water is being collected in the filter and clogging it up. Was the water hazy when you opened? Do you have a compete set of test results?

Thanks zea3. I have never cleaned the grids with anything other than a hose and tap water, so the detergent rinse is a good idea. I know what you are talking about with DE chunks falling off, but this is a gradual lessening of coverage. I did have some cloudiness and now it's clear- so that's good. One thing I didn't mention: there were two rings of DE surrounding the bottom drains - I'm thinking I had a little blowback into the system while charging the grids.

I am going to reclean the grids and recharge probably tonight, as DE is cheap (HTH $10 for two bags in a 10lb box at Wally World).
I will also check the stand-pipe o-ring and manifold for any damage.

No test results yet - headed to pool store today. I know this is a "cheat", but I have them do a water sample test and then buy my chems at WW (way cheaper and they got way more than enough money from us on the initial install).

Thanks much,
Chico

I would encourage you to buy your own high quality FAS/DPD test kit. They are a great investment in the quality of your pool water. Store testing is often wrong, and they use the results to sell you stuff you don't need. We recommend the Taylor K2006 or the TF 100 . The TF 100 comes with a larger quantity of the tests you use most and is a great value.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.