Low salt cause need for SLAM - when to add salt?

Newpoolcrazy

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2015
La Porte, TX
Husband was supposed to add salt to the pool before going out of town and forgot. I came home a day later to find a cloudy pool with greenish tint. Salt was below 2700 so SWG had stopped generating.

2 days in, OCLT this morning showed a loss of 1.5 FC and CC is at .5ppm Still a little cloudy but looks much better. Will keep slamming until all 3 criteria are met, but when can/should we add salt? Would like to do that while we are already running pump 24/7 without SWG but worried it might mess up my FC/CC readings.

Add salt whenever the unit requests it or periodically check the salt level and it is getting close to the lower end of the range.

Yeah, it's fine to add the salt anytime. I think you are saying that you are SLAMming using liquid chlorine, right?

Just keep doing that and finish SLAM without the SWG on but ready to go.

Then, when your SLAM is finished (sounds like you are close), let the FC come down to normal and turn on the SWG.

Yes, I'm using regular 8.25 regular chlorine bleach. It looks like I AM close, but no cigar until that CC is at 0. I don't care how good it looks!!

Thanks. Will have hubs add salt tonight.

Yeah, it's fine to add the salt anytime. I think you are saying that you are SLAMming using liquid chlorine, right?

Just keep doing that and finish SLAM without the SWG on but ready to go.

Then, when your SLAM is finished (sounds like you are close), let the FC come down to normal and turn on the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.