Low psi after opening

elychko

May 6, 2021
New Jersey
Hello Everyone! I'm new here but hope to find a solution.
History:
1. After opening a pool gauge showed 0.
2. Replaced with new one (Measureman). Cleaned skimmer, pump basket, gauge showed 3 PSI
3. Lubricated pipe unions, disassembled pump, cleaned impeller, replaced pump gaskets, drain gaskets
4. Assembled pump, gauge shows 6 PSI.

I don't see any difference in pressure in return jets, the pressure seems to be as usual.
Tried to close skimmer line and pool line 1 by 1 to clean air clogs, no effect.

Setup: pool size 26k gallons
Pump: Pentair challenger 1.25 HP
Sand Filter: Hayward S244T
Piping 1.5"
Pool is free of debris, leaves, etc, but water is cloudy.

Currently thinking is could be a sand filter, maybe need to replace gaskets?

Welcome to TFP :)

Low PSI is a good thing... did the pressure used to be higher last year? are you losing water somewhere?

Not sure I am understanding the problem with low pressure..

cowboycasey thanks for your answer​

I'm a new pool owner and generally have little-to-no experience.
After watching a bunch of youtube videos my impression was that normal pressure should be in 15 - 18 psi range
Last year the pressure was around 19 PSI, but I suspect the old gauge was broken at that time already because with pump off it still showed around 5-7 PSI.
This year the gauge showed 0 that is why I replaced it with the new one.
By the way the pump was running all night, I just checked the pressure, it went from 6 to 7 PSI overnight.
No water leaks. Maybe I'm worrying too much?
Also, does pool chemistry impact the pressure? Checked water, total hardness: normal, chlorines: normal, alkalinity: low, pH: very low

I have a VS pump and I run it at 800 rpm all day long and the pressure is at 2 psi, when it runs at 1500 for my SWG it is at 4 PSI and that is the highest it gets... You want low pressure as it is better for everything..

What your looking for is base pressure right after you backwash and rinse your filter, say that is 6 PSI... you want to backwash and rinse when your pressure rises 25%, so about 8 or 9 PSI...

Put all this in your signature so we now what equipment you have :) https://www.troublefreepool.com/account/signature

Setup: pool size 26k gallons
Pump: Pentair challenger 1.25 HP
Sand Filter: Hayward S244T
Piping 1.5"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.