Low CH and cloudy water

spada

Apr 4, 2017
Malaga
I'm totally new to this but been trying to read up here on troublefreepool. I've moved to Spain and the apartment I'm renting have a SP 331 Villeroy and Boch Spa.
These are the chemicals left by the previous owner (I don't even know what some of it is or how/when to use it) and I bought a Taylor K-2006 test kit:
chems.jpg

This is what I've done so far:

Day 1: I filled the pool with tap water (120 CH), crushed and added 6 "bromo en pastillas de 20 g".

Day 2-4: it was raining a lot and i was busy a lot so I dropped the ball and didn't do anything.

Day 5: I balanced the TA and pH to 40-50 TA, 7,9 pH and 120 CH. I also added a floater with 3 bromine tablets.

Day 6: 50 TA, 11 Bromine, 8-8.1 pH. Removed the floater because of the high Bromine value.

Day 7: Tried to balance TA and pH with the baking soda I could steal from my wife. 7,9 pH, 60 TA, 3.5 Bromine. Added the floater with a smaller opening.

Day 8 (today) 90 CH, 6 ppm Bromine, 7.8 pH and 40 TA and the water got really cloudy during the night (can't see the floor)

I know I haven't superoxidized (shocked) the SPA at all, is that the problem? I still haven't figured out where to buy my shocker (looking for unscented laundry bleach (5.25%)) in Spain.

Ps. When I bought the Taylor K-2006, the European distributor that I ordered from told me this about the chemicals in the picture "The products that you showed me in the photo are the cheapest, but also the worst in the market". I find it really hard to translate the chemicals information on this site to Spanish (english is not my native language) so that I can find them at amazon.es or in shops here.

Ps2. Even though I clearly don't understand everything yet, this site and forums have been a invaluable source of information. So thanks to everyone contributing!

I just wanted to say welcome to TFP and tell you I love your fair city, which I had the delight of visiting many years back ;)

I don't use bromine in my hot tub because I am allergic, so i can't help you there. But you may wish to consider switching it to the "Di-chlor then bleach" method we post about here and just not worry about the leftovers if it is not working well, because chlorine is generally a bit simpler to use.

In either case, you may also wish to raise the CH to 150 and let it run a bit, and then see how it looks.

Here's the link if you want to do chlorine instead: How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

@Swampwoman, thank you for your reply and welcome! The SP 331 have a ozonator that runs every filter cycle, from what I've read it's "better" to do Bromine because of it? Have a vague memory of some other reason Bromine was the better choice here, could it have to do with the weather or something? Might be totally wrong, too much info in too short time regarding this subject :)
I will stock up on baking soda today and give 150 CH a try! I'll let you know how it goes.

If anyone have any suggestions on where to buy shocker and other chems, online or in store close to Malaga/Marbella I would really appreciate it. I was also considering adding Gentle Spa for my next refill, so Gentle Spa or boric acid (read here that Gentle Spa is not pH balanced anymore?) is also of interest to locate.

Edit: I just came home with 2kg baking soda to realize it was CH and not TA that needed raising!

I went to a pool store that told me to not bother with CH (it's not a problem here in Spain according to him?). Anyway, I bumped up the Bromine levels and the water got crystal clear.
Now I have TA 30, stable 7.4-7.6 pH and 0.5-1.5 ppm bromine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.