Low Alkalinity

Aug 17, 2018
Florida
New here so not sure if I am posting in the correct area .

I have a 12,500 gallon gunite pool. In June I noticed what appeared to big a big stain in the deeper end of the pool . I asked my pool guy why he had never mentioned it to me he said that he thought it was an organic stain that eventually would go away over time . Well it did not so eventually he added more chlorine to get rid of it , which actually made the stain a lot worst and bigger. So I took it on my own to have the water tested , the numbers might be actually worst because the numbers are when calculating a 11760 pool not a 12500 gallon TC 4.0 FC 4.0 PH 7.4 TA 30ppm calcium hardness 385 TDS 3,700

Long story short after several arguments with the owner of the pool company servicing my pool he said it was a metal stain and the low alkalinity was irrelevant , However I had several companies come out,some have said it is metal scaling others etching . My current ( new ) Pool company as of today said it was metal scaling but to leave it alone because attempting to remove it may make it worst. However, today upon swimming I noticed that there were several areas of pitting on the other side of the pool .

I am lost , I do not know what to do. Should I fixed the pool should I seek legal advice . Please help

Welcome to the TFP pool! :splash:

Here is the deal, we are not here to deal with legal issues. If you think you are going that way look for a local expert to document what you need for your "case". I will just let you know, we do not allow lawsuit prep to be done here.

We are a group for homeowners to take care of their pool. We generally don't deal well with Old pool guys or new pool guys because they don't maintain a pool to our standards. We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 test kit if you plan on following our recommendations.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these: ABCs of Water Chemistry
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please don't go back to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF100 test kit has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• List what test kit you use to test your water
  • The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Thank you so much for your advice . I most certainly order the kit ASAP. I will also read what you have assigned. Not here for lawsuit prep at all , but really for help with etching problem and how to move forward .

Thank you
Welcome to the TFP pool! :splash:

Here is the deal, we are not here to deal with legal issues. If you think you are going that way look for a local expert to document what you need for your "case". I will just let you know, we do not allow lawsuit prep to be done here.

We are a group for homeowners to take care of their pool. We generally don't deal well with Old pool guys or new pool guys because they don't maintain a pool to our standards. We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 test kit if you plan on following our recommendations.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these: ABCs of Water Chemistry
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please don't go back to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF100 test kit has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• List what test kit you use to test your water
  • The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Do you have a picture of the stain?

What color is it?

Is it a black stain that appeared when calcium hypochlorite was broadcast into the pool?

What color is the plaster?

Do you have a heater or an ionizer or has copper algaecide been added?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.