lovingHDTV

lovingHDTV

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2007
Round Rock, TX
Guess I can introduce myself also.

I work in the hi-tech industry as a consultant to silicon chip makers. I help them make all those cool electronic gadgets that you love to buy real cheap :-D

I've been married for 17 years to the best woman in the world, sorry for any offense here but sometimes the truth hurts. :wink:

We have 4 children ages 15-8, live in Round Rock, TX and love our pool. It was already built when we bought the house so I've been trying to keep it going for the last 6 years. After loosing the battle for the last 2 years, and getting tired of spending $75-$100 per month on chemicals, that never seemed to work I started looking around for a better solution. BBB seems to answer a lot of my questions and explains what I've been dealing with for sometime.

I'll post a picture of the pool later on when I get a chance.

In case I have not said it yet, Welcome to TFP!

The folks here will help you whip that baby in shape faster than you can imagine! Ask any questions you can think of!

I, however, am mainly the comic relief, greeter, and, apparently (some think) repairer of dams!!! :thequeen:

Hey there lovinghdtv, Just wondering what kind of HDTV set up you have..I have to say I love my HDTV too. I have a 50" Philips plasma with a Dish network 811 hd receiver, and a small rca silver sensor for my OTA channels. I can get all of our local channels OTA with the exception of PBS and NBC. I also have a 42" Viore plasma that does HD but now we just mostly play the Wii on it now. I got an exceptional deal on the 50" Philips ($950) from Sam's club. It had just come back from the shop for a very minor defect in the upper left hand corner of the screen that is not even noticable and I just couldn't pass it up and it still has the full warranty. In Nashville our local CBS affaliate is now doing the local news in HD which is the first one in our area. It looks great too!! When they first started the HD broadcast, I think they were trying to set a world record on how many times they could say "HD" or "High definition" while they were speaking. :lol:

JD

I have a 120" diagonal screen, that I use a 3000 lumens Sanyo PLV-80 to watch my HDTV. I have a Chanel Master 4228A 8-bow tie antenna in my attic so that I can get all the OTA channels. I record, mark commercials, and playback all my TV via SageTV. SageTV is setup as a server that stores all my recordings on my file server. My playback is doen via a shall HTPC running the SageTV Client hooked to my projector. I use the Harmony 880 remote (best remote in the world!!) as anyone can now operate all that electronic stuff without any training. The help button on the remote is great.

Anyway I love HDTV :)

dave

WOW! What an awesome setup!! I was just curious what that projector runs and pulled one up on ebay at the tune of $7000!! I can see why you love your HDTV!! How about sound? You have to have a very nice sound system to compliment your video.....

JD

Yes I have a 5.1 surround sound build in also. That way I can listen to my favorite :punkrock: and drummer or would that be percusionist. We have the same surname so I have to like him (no I'm not related, been asked that before :) )

If I had to do it again, I would probably spend more money on window treatments to control the ambient light and then I could go with less lumens on the PJ and have more choices on what to buy. But I do like my light cannon :whoot:

I ran a projector setup before the plasma. I had one of the early panasonic pt-ae100 wide screen projector on a 100" screen but only around 700 lumens and in a fairly light room it was all but washed out in the daylight even with super thick curtains and all. I also got bad advice on screen material that was super reflective when I should have went with a matte material. At night, I loved it. Not nearly as nice as yours, but many nights our house was volunteered for movie night.

The colors ended up going bad in the projector, white was a light green, and we just ended up ditching the projector and went with plasma because of the price of replacement bulbs. I do miss the big screen, but have been very happy with the picture quality of the plasma. One thing that steered us away from the rear projection lcd's and dlp's is #1 Light bulb maintenance and #2 We got real used to having the extra floor space that a regular TV uses. Both of my plasmas are wall mounted and I went to all of the trouble of running the wires through the walls so it looks nice.

For sound I am running a 5.1 Infinity satellite system with powered subwoofer being pushed by a Yamaha RX-650. I am very happy with the sound quality. It gets as loud as I can stand it!!

I pretty much just play drums. I have fooled around on percussion, but not very much... :wink:

JD

HDTV and Pools, What a Combo!

I too, am a huge HD junky. I've got a 50" Panasonic plasma in the family room, a 50" Samsung DLP in the basement and a 32" CRT in the master bedroom. I've got a Toshiba HD-DVD player hooked up to the plasma and a Xbox 360 with add on HD-DVD player connected to the DLP.

I have DirectTV as my provider, get the HD Sunday Ticket package every football season, and have the CM 4228 with pre-amp (7775) mounted to the chimney for my OTA. I plan on replacing my receivers soon with the HR20's and H20's and getting the 5 LNB slimline dish to take advantage of the new sat's going up so I can get the new MPEG4 HD channels.

Glad to see others here with my two favorite hobbies!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wow...you all sound like the "Poolgeek" of the audio - video world.

CM4228 - HD7775 - pt ae 100 - 42 LCD - 700 lumins - wide screen - hut - hut - hike!

All I have is my 53" RCA rear projection, non HD 16:9 TV about 10 yrs old... I guess I'll to step up soon. Maybe shuffle the RCA to my back patio for poolside game day view pleasure. Can someone call my wife and explain this to her?
Hmmmm, I think I've got it.... "Honey, Home Shopping Network will come in so much clearer.... " waddda think?

Poolsean said:
wow...you all sound like the "Poolgeek" of the audio - video world.

CM4228 - HD7775 - pt ae 100 - 42 LCD - 700 lumins - wide screen - hut - hut - hike!

All I have is my 53" RCA rear projection, non HD 16:9 TV about 10 yrs old... I guess I'll to step up soon. Maybe shuffle the RCA to my back patio for poolside game day view pleasure. Can someone call my wife and explain this to her?
Hmmmm, I think I've got it.... "Honey, Home Shopping Network will come in so much clearer.... " waddda think?

Careful what ya ask for ""Honey, Home Shopping Network will come in so much clearer.... " waddda think?" could get really expensive.

dave