Lots of sand in pool

Jun 7, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Hello everyone!

Ran into an issue. I was vacuuming my pool to wast when the water started to get low at the skimmer. I had a little more to do so I decided to set it to filter. I vacuumed some and my pressure jumped quickly. I went to backwash and I heard a loud noise in the filter valve are like something cleared a line. Backwash was normal, rinse normal and started filtering again. I noticed a brown dark cloud coming from my return lines. After inspecting there is a lot of sand in my pool. There doesn't seem to be any more coming from the return lines anymore.

I then went to add chlorine once I made sure sand was no longer blowing into the pool. When I went out to get chlorine I noticed a huge pile of sand in my driveway.

As of now there doesn't seem to be any sand blowing into the pool and the pressure is normal. Do you think something is broke?

Is it possible to just vacuum the sand back up and into the filter now that I have the laterals back on?
Sure! Actually wait. If it's small amounts dispersed you could filter. But if it's a lot, it may be best to go to waste.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you still have the old sand, and it was never compromised with any pool store junk like floc or anything, it should be good to go back in. If you have any doubt about the history of the sand, or know some pool store snake oils were added before, then I would start fresh. Then you know for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Pour slowly of course to protect those laterals.

Unless the old sand was channeled it shouldn't make a big difference. Maybe it was channeled or calcified to cause a lateral to blow off! Did you replace the laterals or just put the old one back in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.