losing water in the winter

Jun 27, 2012
So i am losing water after i covered my pool for the winter. Back in a june we had a massive storm and i ended up with my neighbors shed in my pool. I drained everything, removed the shed and refilled. Didn't lose anything all summer or early fall. Cover has been on just under a month and its down already a foot of water. What are my options if it keeps leaking? I already plan on doing a new liner in the spring.

probably need to try to keep it filled or walls might collapse, but that is a pretty fast leak. check pipes and fittings in case it is something on the outside with plumbing but if you had a shed in your pool, I imagine it is the liner. you don't list your location but if a milder climate you might be able to find and repair enough to slow it down until you replace.

probably need to try to keep it filled or walls might collapse, but that is a pretty fast leak. check pipes and fittings in case it is something on the outside with plumbing but if you had a shed in your pool, I imagine it is the liner. you don't list your location but if a milder climate you might be able to find and repair enough to slow it down until you replace.
I'm in Pittsburgh. Already have some ice forming on the water on the cover, should be melted tomorrow. I am worried about the walls collapsing or ice forming and water leaking under it and a giant ice cube dropping. I'm hoping once everything freezes it stops. I am not monitoring the depth of water to see if the hole is on the wall or floor. The pool held water all summer which is strange, all pipes were disconnected and pool was drained to below the return.

I'm going to assume we have a AGP here. There is another member that's having a similar issue where the pool hasn't lost water during the summer but once covered the water keeps dropping. At the end it was determined his solid cover over the pool has a hole somewhere and the pool cover pump keeps removing the water on top but that's actually water that is from below. Also as a side note, once the water is ice you don't want to play with it even though it floats because when it bumps the walls it will cut the liner..

Reactions: Wendynat and Pv2
good point about cover leaking and water being pumped off, maybe that is OPs problem. strange to have a leak in winter after it held during summer, though I have seen that happen with an epoxy patch on a steel storage tank - the metal shrinks in the cold and the patch starts to leak. don't think that could be the case with a vinyl liner.

I'm going to assume we have a AGP here. There is another member that's having a similar issue where the pool hasn't lost water during the summer but once covered the water keeps dropping. At the end it was determined his solid cover over the pool has a hole somewhere and the pool cover pump keeps removing the water on top but that's actually water that is from below. Also as a side note, once the water is ice you don't want to play with it even though it floats because when it bumps the walls it will cut the liner..
No pump on the cover and the cover is brand new, losing about 2" a day. I'm guessing it will be empty within 10 days. This weekend i am pulling the cover off and grabbing the fishing waders to see if i can find a leak, has to be a pretty big hole to lose water this fast.

If i leave it empty all winter will the wall get destroyed?

In the short term you will be fine to let it drain until it stops. That will greatly narrow down your search for the leak at that height. But after that you need to be filled again. Any given winter storm, nor'easter or bomb cyclone could blow the walls apart or over. Only 18 days into the winter storm season and today was already #4 (Dorean).

A storm is what caused this issue, I usually try to keep metal sheds out of my pool. Whats weird is it was fine all summer and fall and this all started about 2 weeks ago. I'm going to have to get the cover off soon or it's going to start to strain the walls. I always use a cover for a 21 round even though i only have an 18. This is going to cut into my hunting time

A storm is what caused this issue, I usually try to keep metal sheds out of my pool.

Top notch reply right there, the 'iron'-y of the whole thing is hysterical. But if you leave the pool empty, your neighbor might have a pool in his shed. Let it drain to the level where the leak is, patch it and filler up

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.