Jun 9, 2021
South Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Kind of a loaded situation here:

Just had 1.5 HP motor replaced last Friday due to the old motor running intermittently & eventually tripping the breaker.

Motor was replaced, all seemed to be fine, until it wasn't. The pool was still shutting on and off. Most commonly, it turns on at 7:30 in the morning, runs for a couple minutes, then shuts off. It will restart itself, but shuts off again. I haven't been able to monitor this all day due to being at work, but that's what I can observe in the morning.
Should a brand new motor be doing this? Or do I need to call the company who did the work & have them come back out to fix it? I won't mess with anything electrical...

Separately, I've noticed the pump losing prime when the pool is not running overnight. While the pool IS running, I do not see any bubbles in pump basket. So, I'm confused on why the pump basket is losing prime if there doesn't seem to be a leak on the suction side to produce bubbles in the pump basket?

I noticed that water is being held in the salt water chlorinator, so it's really just the pump basket losing water

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: To confirm, did you have the entire pump assembly replaced or only the motor?

As for the water loss in the pump pot, sounds like you have a tiny air leak somewhere. Very commonly at the equipment pad. You'll want to listen closely for any hissing sounds, or spurts of water when the motor is turned off. Make sure they lubed the o-ring under the pump clear lid and the pump drain plugs. Check your pressure relief valve/gauge as sometimes those can let air "IN" when the system is off.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: To confirm, did you have the entire pump assembly replaced or only the motor?

As for the water loss in the pump pot, sounds like you have a tiny air leak somewhere. Very commonly at the equipment pad. You'll want to listen closely for any hissing sounds, or spurts of water when the motor is turned off. Make sure they lubed the o-ring under the pump clear lid and the pump drain plugs. Check your pressure relief valve/gauge as sometimes those can let air "IN" when the system is off.
They only replaced the motor & shaft seal. They left the rest of the pump as is.

I'll go ahead and check out the pump lid o ring (and probably replace for good measure) and the drain plugs. Just to clarify, what's the purpose of the drain plug closest to the motor?

Could the bleeder valve on the filter have anything to do with this? When I bleed air out of the filter, it does take a bit of tightening to get to the point where water does not flow out anymore

The drain plug (or plugs) are there for convenience most commonly for winter prep. Some have two some only one. The bleeder valve could be the culprit. Look, listen, check it out with system on and when turned off to see if you notice anything. You wont' always see water seep out from a leak, but it's just enough to let air "in", then your water shifts and drains when the system is turned off. But it could be anywhere on the pad.

The drain plug (or plugs) are there for convenience most commonly for winter prep. Some have two some only one. The bleeder valve could be the culprit. Look, listen, check it out with system on and when turned off to see if you notice anything. You wont' always see water seep out from a leak, but it's just enough to let air "in", then your water shifts and drains when the system is turned off. But it could be anywhere on the pad.
Ok great, I'll check all that out when I get home.

Any ideas on the new motor turning on and off? That one's got my mind all worked up o_O

That one's got my mind all worked up
It would me as well. Do you use automation with that pump? Maybe post a pic or two later when you get home with details and we can have people give more suggestions on that one.

Can you explain what I’m looking at with the blue hose (appears to be a backwash hose) coming out of the inlet side of the three way valve?
The OP has a cartridge filter, so that's simply a way to pump to waste if needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The OP has a cartridge filter, so that's simply a way to pump to waste if needed.
Are they usually left full of water like that? Nothing against it I'm just curious. I had a bad valve in my multiport once and water was escaping through the waste line, only noticed it because the hose was full of water. just looking out

Are they usually left full of water like that? Nothing against it I'm just curious. I had a bad valve in my multiport once and water was escaping through the waste line, only noticed it because the hose was full of water. just looking out

I actually have no idea why it's full of water lol. We bought the house and it was like that....is the hose supposed to be empty? And could that be a possibility as to why the pump basket empties out at night?

I actually have no idea why it's full of water lol. We bought the house and it was like that....is the hose supposed to be empty?
There should be no water in that hose unless you have the 3-way valve open to allow water to go out through that line. It's a convenience method to remove water or waste. That valve handle appears to show that line/opening closed, so you might remove the hose form the 3-way valve to see if water is leaking-out from the valve when it should be off. If it is leaking, it needs to be fixed.

full

I actually have no idea why it's full of water lol. We bought the house and it was like that....is the hose supposed to be empty? And could that be a possibility as to why the pump basket empties out at night?
Like @Texas Splash said, if its leaking it needs to be fixed. If you notice you are losing water level in the pool that looks like where it is coming from. Honestly, if the hose is full of water like that, I don't know how it can't be leaking water

There should be no water in that hose unless you have the 3-way valve open to allow water to go out through that line. It's a convenience method to remove water or waste. That valve handle appears to show that line/opening closed, so you might remove the hose form the 3-way valve to see if water is leaking-out from the valve when it should be off. If it is leaking, it needs to be fixed.

full
ahhhh interesting, thank you!! Hopefully that's the cause to the pump losing prime and hopefully not an additional problem to this pool from you know where :)
Like @Texas Splash said, if its leaking it needs to be fixed. If you notice you are losing water level in the pool that looks like where it is coming from. Honestly, if the hose is full of water like that, I don't know how it can't be leaking water
I’ll have to check it out. If that valve needs replacing, is that an easy fix? Something I can order and replace?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.