Losing my mind at what to get to replace a Waterway Hi-Flo 1HP pump

May 14, 2018
Toronto
Went to open the pool today and the motor on the pump was seized. Got it going again and it seized shortly thereafter. She's done for.

It was a Waterway Hi-Flo 48 Frame Pump, model SD-10-1N11AC5. My first thought was to buy a new one just to replace it easiest. Not so fast.

The internet gives me almost nothing on this model. For context, we bought this house with the pool already here- didn't choose any of the parts, etc. The one site in Canada that offers a pump that looks like this doesn't have a side discharge, and they've told me it's not in their inventory anyways. So I'm stuck not knowing what to get. I've identified the Hayward Power-Flo Matrix as a potential replacement.

Basically looking for some help on some questions:

- Does anyone have any opinions about this Hayward pump?
- Are pipes standard size? Meaning assuming the Hayward fits in the space, would my existing plumbing fit?
- Am I searching for the right replacement pump for my Waterway? When I called the pool store they told me Waterway doesn't make pumps- they make motors for pumps. Which only confused me more.

Actually confused is a good word to describe me right now. Just want to get a replacement pump that will fit. If anyone can help it would be so appreciated!

I am in the same situation only mine is a 1.5 HP Waterway that I’m looking to replace. I’m considering an XtremepowerUS US dual speed self priming 1.5 HP but I can’t find any reviews on it. Does anyone have any experience with these pumps or could you recommend a suitable replacement? The Waterway replacement would run $345 the XtremepowerUS would run $172. I don’t know what to do and could use some advice. Thank you!!

I'm definitely NOT claiming to be an expert in any way, but I did just have this issue and someone on here referred me to inyopools.com. I was able to get on a chat with someone and told them what pump I had and what the problem was and they told me exactly what I needed (and it was a good deal cheaper than the same model anywhere else - I Googled it). Just a suggestion; I'm obviously not I'm Canada so I don't know if you can get the same stuff up there?
And btw, my new pump is a Waterway! And I bought the whole pump, not just a motor...not sure what they meant at the pool store? Interested to hear from the experts! :)

Reporting back- it worked! We had to get a few different fittings to link up the connection to the filter side, but the entire thing fit like a glove and is running like a dream. Most interesting is that the new pump, although the same HP rating, pumps out WAY more water- visible at the surface even, compared to the old pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.