Losing 6 FC level in 9 hours?

May 30, 2015
Southern Illinois
I tested at noon at it was at 7.5, I have roughly a 55 level CYA so i shoot for 7 - 9 so I added 7 cups to raise it to 11. I checked it at 9:30pm expecting it to be around 7 or 8 and find it at 5. Is this a normal loss? My water is 90F and it was really hot today and the sun is on the pool unfettered for about 9 hours each day. My overnight tests have been fine (did one a few days ago) and the water is crystal clear so just wondering if that is normal. I still haven't found a routine where I can add enough at night and not have to worry about it until the next night. Any help is appreciated.

Old chlorine will only effect the actual FC level reached. If you want to know for sure, I would recommend retesting, like 15-30 minutes after you do your addition. You might not actually be getting up where you think you are at your additions.

Thanks guys, it's 26 foot round pool that average about 44" depth. I've calculated it at 14.5K gallons. The chlorine is all relatively new, I just got it from Rural King last week actually!

Some new readings to share.

Midnight FC 11

7/14
8:30am FC 11, CC- 0
4pm FC 6.5 CC- 0
added 11 cups 10% chlorine

Water Temp is 91F

I added enough Cya to raise it 20, shooting for 60 on the 10th of July, so maybe that hasn't kicked in yet? It all dissolved in a sock in the skimmer in about 2 hours.

Check the bottles of your chlorine before you purchase. It doesn't matter that you bought them last week if the date of the chlorine is from 2016, which is old.
AftonJeeper suggested to look for these type of numbers on the chlorine bottle. "Typically they are listed like this 17150, which means it was made on the 150th day of 2017."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.