Loosing chlorine again..

So, assuming you completed the 10-minute FC tests to consume anything eating your chlorine so fast (or do it first-thing in am), you are correct in that you will start your SLAM FC level at 10 since your CYA is currently next to nothing. At the same time, you should have ready a sock with granular stabilizer to start increasing the CYA to at least 30. It will dissolve in about a day, but may take a week to show-up on tests. So yes, even after the 10-minute checks, once you start the SLAM, FC will get eliminated quicker than if there was no CYA at all to protect it, but you have to move forward anyways. You won't have to add bleach as quickly as when you did the 10-minute checks, but you should be prepared to check it every 1-2 hours or so - especially in the early part of the SLAM.

So, 7/23 the OP measured CYA 75 (apparently consistent with previous known CYA levels in the pool). On 7/25 CYA is measured at 0. In between those dates there's been modestly above normal chlorine loss, but nothing dramatic. Is that really consistent with CYA-eating bacteria, as some are suggesting? Have there been other reports on the forum about this happening, over the course of just two days, in the summer, with only modestly increased chlorine consumption?

Original poster, did you have a chance to double check and repeat your CYA test? If you have neighbors with pools, I'd even be inclined to ask one of them for a water sample, just to verify that your CYA test chemicals and procedures are still working as they should.

No harm in trying the 10 minute chlorine loss protocol, of course, as has been suggested.

I suspect that OP didn't check CYA on 7/23 and just reported a previous value, since at that point, he had no reason to believe that his CYA would have changed.

OP's reason for testing CYA on 7/25 was to verify how high to SLAM... That's when he realized that there was something "afoot," so to speak... :suspect:

Azmp, correct me if I'm wrong here...:?

I had a question (unrelated to the CYA mystery):

You asked:

And what's the deal with the particles?

:confused: You mentioned that there were kids in the pool.

Any of them wearing diapers, in particular the non-swim type...?

Even if everything looked intact when they came out of the pool, regular diapers can leave behind weird "particles" (Although swimmy-style ones can disintegrate as well). It happens even if there's no organic "additions" from said child.
Of course, if there are kiddos wearing any sort of diaper or training pant in the pool, you should assume they've made a "contribution", and cover for added FC demand. I figure, any child under about 5-6, is likely to be having enough fun that the overwhelming urge will sneak up and before they can help it... Oopsie. :(

# X, on my pet-peeve list (ok, I haven't gotten around to numbering them yet):

I hate it when parents get annoyed at the kid who's asked to go potty 3x in an hour, or what-have-you... Cause eventually, that kid will just not ask to go-- that way they won't get in trouble. But bladders are pretty teeny, less than a juice box for a 5 year old... And what doesn't go in the potty, is gonna go somewhere... :roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.