Loose foam base?

May 9, 2018
ATX
Had an AGP installed about 5 years ago, I am removing it now. Got it from A-Tex pools had it installed by the team that they use. The base is like a whitet, lose foam, sand mix or something. It feels lighter and softer than sand, but not as light as styrofoam.
Does anyone know what this is? Should I just put dirt and sod over it? or mix it with dirt? remvoe it all together?
Here are a couple pics, as you can see the live oak tree roots were attempting to grow between the liner and the base.

Attachments

• pool base (1).JPG
    pool base (1).JPG
    850.8 KB · Views: 21
  • pool base (2).JPG
    pool base (2).JPG
    959.4 KB · Views: 20
How do you know for sure it is not just all sand? One test could be to scoop some into a cup of tap water and see what floats. It might be sand mixed with lime.

Although my pool is on 100% mason sand (or at least that's what I ordered) :D I have heard of using a certain type of crushed rock and also vermiculite on the bottom of a pool. Vermiculite floats so maybe ...

I Just talked to a pool installer, its called Harbolite. He says its safe to install dirt/sod over it. It seems to be holding water where it was packed down with the pool so I'm going to rake it up first, and add dirt

Harbolite is perlite.

You ever buy potting soil and see those little white squishy pellets in it? That is perlite.

Perlite (and Vermiculite) are soil conditioners and help to retain moisture. I grew up next to a greenhouse, and sometimes would help out there. They used to get in bales of perlite, vermiculite, peat moss, and bulk topsoil and blend it all together in an old cement mixer to make potting soil.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.