Looking for help with Jandy Valve Settings

Aleila

Mar 19, 2018
South Florida
Hello,

I am attaching a photo of the current valve positions.

I am trying to figure out how the valves should be set on for running the pool:

1) with the automatic cleaner

2) normal running - no automatic cleaner

3) to vacuum from the skimmer

4) vacuum to waste

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• F663414D-792F-4949-B6AE-6506D4561B36.jpg
    F663414D-792F-4949-B6AE-6506D4561B36.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 118
Whatever side "off" faces is closed. So in the top valve, the pipe coming down the picture is closed off. On the bottom valve, it looks to be about 50/50 with the top and right pipes.

Can you label the picture with what each pipe does?

Is it just me but he can shut everything off to the pump if the bottom 3 way valve is turned with the OFF facing the pump. Is that something that is done intentional like because the pump is below the water line?
My pump floor is level with the deck so I can't (and dont know if I ever need) to shut off flow to the pump.
Last week, I turned each intake off one at a time and then labeled my pipes. Sharpie writing from previous owner wore off. I may just put clear packing tape over my sharpie writing. I don't know if that will last though.

Is that something that is done intentional like because the pump is below the water line?
I don't know if it is common, but my pump is below the waterline and I use my Jandy valve to keep water from flowing out when cleaning the basket or doing other maintenance. Forgetting to open it can cause major damage to your system when the water in the pump boils. I've confirmed this fact twice.

With a cartridge filter, there is no way to vacuum to waste as cartridge filters don't have a way to attach a multi-port valve to the filter. But you could add a 3-way valve between the pump and filter to allow vacuuming to waste.

Below is based on your picture orientation.....

Top - skimmer - draws water from skimmer

Middle - vacuum port - draws water from vac port

Bottom - main drain - draws water from main drain

1) with the automatic cleaner - upper valve OFF towards skimmer, lower valve OFF towards main drain

2) normal running - no automatic cleaner - upper valve OFF towards vac port, lower valve OFF towards main drain (or maybe open the main drain slightly - I have mine set to draw about 25% of the water from the main draon and 75% from the skimmer).

3) to vacuum from the skimmer - upper valve OFF towards vac port, lower vavle OFF towards main drain... but why since you can use the dedicated vac port for normal vacuuming and for the auto vac?

4) vacuum to waste - unless you add a 3-way valve between pump and filter, you can't do this.

In reality, you may want to open the main drain just a little and leave it there for all operations - unless you need full suction to one of the other two. Also, you can open skimmer to get some skimmimg action while the auto vac is running on the dedicated vac port. You'll need to try a few different settings to find what works best for your setup. If you don't have enough suction for the vacuum to work corredtly, close the main drain fully first and then start closing off the skimmer. As I mentioned, you usually want some skimming action while using the vaccum port.

One item to clarify, if the plate with the screws in it (under the handle) has the word INLET imprinted on it, INLET should always be on the pump side to avoid dead-heading the pump. There are stops built into the valve - when you turn the handle - that are supposed to prevent being able to turn the OFF on the handle to stop flow to the pump. By removing the screws (pump off) the plate can be rotated to align inlet toward the pump - but it usually takes a little effort on valves that have been in service for a while. And it could compromise the o-ring under the plate. For your two valves - top valve, INLET should be on the lower side of the valve and bottom valve, INLET should be on the left side of the valve, toward the pump. INLET always toward pump is if pump is above pool water level (most inground pools) - if pump below pool water level, sometimes installer will setup valve so pump can be dead-headed... but caution must be used to avoid running pump dry.

Gene, thanks for your clear, detailed reply. I appreciate it. I am printing this thread out to study it and will make diagrams based on your reply.

The pump is above the pool level.

If I look for the position of the inlet — plate and break the o-rings, is this tricky or simple to fix?

Thanks for the idea about putting a three way valve in between the pump and filter. I need to search this forum for replacing pvc plumbing properly. I am not sure how high it has to be to have a good flow. Height might not even be a factor...

You're welcome! Ask any other questions that may come up.

O-rings are simple to replace. There are actually 3 in there I believe. One large o-ring for the lid/plate and two smaller ones for the shaft that comes thru the lid. I've had good luck with after market ones I bought on Amazon, but YMMV.

Height of where to place a 3-way in between the pump and filter isn't an issue. Post a pic showing the pump, filter and connecting pipe and we can help you out.

Thanks Poolgate. I saw a youtube video that referred to the off position like a walk, your explanation is even better.

The top pipe (no valve) leads to the skimmer

The middle valve is for the Pool Vacuum

the bottom valve is connecting the main drain to the pump inlet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome Description!!!

With a cartridge filter, there is no way to vacuum to waste as cartridge filters don't have a way to attach a multi-port valve to the filter. But you could add a 3-way valve between the pump and filter to allow vacuuming to waste.

Below is based on your picture orientation.....

Top - skimmer - draws water from skimmer

Middle - vacuum port - draws water from vac port

Bottom - main drain - draws water from main drain

1) with the automatic cleaner - upper valve OFF towards skimmer, lower valve OFF towards main drain

2) normal running - no automatic cleaner - upper valve OFF towards vac port, lower valve OFF towards main drain (or maybe open the main drain slightly - I have mine set to draw about 25% of the water from the main draon and 75% from the skimmer).

3) to vacuum from the skimmer - upper valve OFF towards vac port, lower vavle OFF towards main drain... but why since you can use the dedicated vac port for normal vacuuming and for the auto vac?

4) vacuum to waste - unless you add a 3-way valve between pump and filter, you can't do this.

In reality, you may want to open the main drain just a little and leave it there for all operations - unless you need full suction to one of the other two. Also, you can open skimmer to get some skimmimg action while the auto vac is running on the dedicated vac port. You'll need to try a few different settings to find what works best for your setup. If you don't have enough suction for the vacuum to work corredtly, close the main drain fully first and then start closing off the skimmer. As I mentioned, you usually want some skimming action while using the vaccum port.

One item to clarify, if the plate with the screws in it (under the handle) has the word INLET imprinted on it, INLET should always be on the pump side to avoid dead-heading the pump. There are stops built into the valve - when you turn the handle - that are supposed to prevent being able to turn the OFF on the handle to stop flow to the pump. By removing the screws (pump off) the plate can be rotated to align inlet toward the pump - but it usually takes a little effort on valves that have been in service for a while. And it could compromise the o-ring under the plate. For your two valves - top valve, INLET should be on the lower side of the valve and bottom valve, INLET should be on the left side of the valve, toward the pump. INLET always toward pump is if pump is above pool water level (most inground pools) - if pump below pool water level, sometimes installer will setup valve so pump can be dead-headed... but caution must be used to avoid running pump dry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.