Looking at a possible vinyl IG?

Aug 7, 2017
Central IL
I have been following TFP for a little over three weeks now and have finally decided to post. I want to thank all of you because your formum is very informative.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to pools so I may ask some very silly questions that most pool people would know. My husband and I are interested in building a vinyl IG. We looked at doing a potential semi – IG, but we have found that for the price point, we might as well build a vinyl IG pool. A couple questions though:
1. What considerations should I be taking into choosing a vinyl IG?
2. How do vinyl IG pools do in midwestern winter? I know it can be quite hot and humid, but it can also be quite cold and wet. I want to make sure that this is the type of pool I should do given my climate

I'm sure I will have more questions along the way and will be sure to ask them, but these are the most important ones that are popping up in my head right now. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

IG vinyl pools are very common in the Midwest, northern climates. The vinyl is better suited to weathering winter conditions as the vinyl will not crack, causing leaks, like a plaster pool might with water intrusion and the freeze/thaw cycle. Fiberglass is also used fairly often but can be more expensive.

One consideration is to think of the color you want, there are literally thousands of options from traditional blues to tan or even some grey and black hues and various combinations of all of them. Some colors defined as "medium blue" patterns are more susceptible to fading as they include an organic dye, rather than strictly inorganic dyes. See if you can get details about they specific dyes used in the liner of your choice. Going with a light blue, dark blue, grey, black or tan will generally hold up longer than the mid-range blue colors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.