Local pool stores price cost increases on liquid chlorine in favor of calcium hypochlorite

Egreenwood

Jun 18, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My local pool store over the last few years has dramatically increased the costs for liquid chlorine. For example it used to cost me $3 for 10 Liters, now it is $16. The price of calcium hypo has been stable or decreasing. I asked them about this and they said they are trying to discourage sales of liquid chlorine in favor of solid products due to the fact it is easier for the store to handle it. Are others finding the same thing?

Here in Texas, I would say they're trying to price you out of pool care completely. Everything is expensive - 100%+ increases in a year.
With that said - consider a SWCG (salt water chlorine generator.) The economics of switching were always good, but are a no-brainer now.

Reactions: Jaked35
You raise a good point regarding the SWCG. My pool is concrete and was built about 60 years ago. It is currently in excellent shape, however I worry if the salt will corrode the rebar in the old concrete. Is the a worthwhile concern?

You raise a good point regarding the SWCG. My pool is concrete and was built about 60 years ago. It is currently in excellent shape, however I worry if the salt will corrode the rebar in the old concrete. Is the a worthwhile concern?

The rebar will be fine. The bigger issue would be the pipes used in plumbing the pool - are they copper, cast iron (don’t laugh, pools were once built that way), or PVC?

All pools are salt pools. Chlorine, Muriatic Acid, etc add salt. It's not uncommon for a normal pool to have 2/3 of the levels of a "salt pool."
A salt pool is 1/10th the concentration of the ocean - a non-issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.