Little stick or root poking up through liner on bottom of pool. - formulating plan for when/if it ends up breaking through at some point.

Ticojpunk

Apr 4, 2023
New York
Pool was installed 2.5 months ago.
We've only really started using the pool daily for a week or two. Noticed something poking into my foot, not hard, it was flexible, so I dove down to look and it appears to be a little stick or possibly a root, sticking up about a quarter inch, maybe even a little less. The liner is of course sealed all around it and it's just poking straight up.

Just wondering what I should do about it if anything, or what I should be prepared to do if/when it finally puts a hole in the liner.

I'm thinking when it does break through, try to trim the stick or root as flush with the bottom as I can and then patch it.

Looking for others ideas though from some that might be more experienced.

Definitely not draining right now, but I wouldn't be opposed to redoing the liner for next year. The installer left a ton of heel prints in it. Pretty annoying. But summer is short, no time for redoing things now.

Last edited:
Had the same as you a few years ago. Once it breaks through the liner it will most likely eat away at the sand/dirt underneath and start building a divot in the bottom.

I drained the pool dry, used some flex seal to fill the divot and seal the leak, cut a piece of foam in a nice circle to fill the divot and used flex seal tape to seal it all up.

Been holding 3 years now.

Reactions: Ticojpunk
Had the same as you a few years ago. Once it breaks through the liner it will most likely eat away at the sand/dirt underneath and start building a divot in the bottom.

I drained the pool dry, used some flex seal to fill the divot and seal the leak, cut a piece of foam in a nice circle to fill the divot and used flex seal tape to seal it all up.

Been holding 3 years now.

Thanks for sharing your experience and your steps to take care of it. Sounds reasonable. Did you just cut the root back?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.