Liquidator flow question

Oct 24, 2010
Cocoa, Florida
Hello all
I am a new member and a first time pool owner. I have been reading this forum for more than a month and I hope I have my head screwed on straight with all of this. I am using the BBB system with a liquidator although the liquidator is not currently in use.

The Pool has had water in it for 5 days now with daily applications of 10.5% bleach (pool chlorine). The ph is currently stable and the cya is rising with a target of 40. I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit that we are slowly getting the hang of.

My question/issue involves the liquidator flow at low pump setting. At the high pump setting I max out the flow meter but at the low pump settling I get no flow indication at all. My LQ inlet is within 2 inches of the filter body and the outlet is connecter to a port on the valve immediately in front of the pump strainer pot (within 4 inches of strainer).

Does anyone see a problem with my inlet/outlet positions?

I am hoping to get the LQ working at the low pump setting, is this possible?

Thanks
Brad

fc: 3.0
tc: 3.0
ph: 7.4
ta: 100
ch: 200
cya: 25

The LQ flow is strictly regulated by the suction head (negative pressure) at the point of injection. ON low speed you mat not have much suction head at all. One thing you can do is partially close off the skimmer valve until you get enough flow through the LQ.

My numbers are all pretty close to Fla Rizzo's except my CH is at 275 and CYA is at 30.

I'm about to hook up my LQ and have a dual-speed pump, so my low is 1725. I've already got my skimmer & drain valve partially closed off so that my Pool Cleaner will run on its dedicated line. The Pool Cleaner runs best when the pump is at high speed 3450.

Shall I plan on the LQ only working, for the most part, while my pump is at high speed? (Yes, I do have the 3/8" upgrade kit -- got it from Sal along with the LQ!)

Is that a problem when high speed is only for 1 to 2 hours per day?

You adjust your LQ to maintain the proper FC level and not some specific amount of flow, so if you always run your pump on high 2 hours a day then your LQ should do fine. You'll just adjust it based on FC testing each day. After a few days you'll have it dialed in and will know what it needs to be set at.

One thing I thought of after responding to Fla Rizzo's post is that you could install a spring loaded check valve in the suction line to the pump and it'll provide some suction head when the pump is running on low and will allow less flow restriction than a partially closed valve when the pump is running on high. You might have to install a slightly larger spring than stock but it would work better than partially closing a valve.

Thanks Dave and Bruce

Neither my pump nor the documentation with it have any info on rpm or flow rates.

BUT

I did open the LQ flow valve and start to close the strainer inlet valve. I had only turned the valve approx a half turn when the LQ flow meter jumped to 2. I am running the pump at the low speed for now and will track chlorine usage.

Thanks again

Brad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.