Liquid Chlorine Peristaltic Feeder Pump

darinhouston

Jun 28, 2019
Houston
So, I finally got around to doing this. I have some "professionalizing" to do -- mounting it better in a box, using larger container for chlorine, etc. -- but it's working. Someday I might buy the Stenner pump, but this is working for now and was super cheap.

I prototyped this with an Arduino, but it was much easier just to buy a little motor which came with its own control board, power supply and variable speed control, managing dosing by a separate timer to turn it on and off.

I put in an old calcium hardness bucket and used standard aquarium tubing from aquarium shop.

Adjusted the flow control about mid-way (a slow drip) and estimated the one minute flow in a measuring cup. My filtration pump comes on twice a day and I run it on slow for 10 minutes before coming on high speed. I connected the dosing pump to a cheap wifi-enabled exterior plug outlet designed for timing Christmas Lights (but you can use any timer you like) and used the app to instruct it to come on for 7 minutes in the morning and 9 minutes in the evening (while the filter pump is on low).

I can now either play with the motor speed control or the on/off timing (or both) as needed to keep my chlorine steady. I figure I'll under-dose slightly for safety and check periodically to only add a little bit of supplemental chlorine as needed. So far, it's working really well.

I ordered a 5 gallon container off Amazon and Pinch-A-Penny said they'd fill it up for me, though if they don't I can just buy cheap one gallon jugs and keep it topped up more easily than changing out bottles or 2.5 gallon jugs often.
(5 Gallon Plastic Hedpack with cap: Car Washing Buckets: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific)

2.5 gallons won't quite keep the pool chlorinated for a week's vacation during the peak of summer with 50 CYA.

I first bought an extra elbow from my tablet dispenser and drilled a hole into it to insert tubing into the chlorinator, but it wasn't reliably feeding into the pool supply line without my circulation hose running. So, I removed it altogether, capped it, and drilled a hole in a threaded plug for the chlorine line. I sealed with some special epoxy and 5 minute fix-it.

$18 12V DC Dosing Pump Peristaltic Dosing Head Adjustable Speed For Aquarium Lab

s-l500.jpg

IMG_8187.jpeg
IMG_8241.jpgIMG_8242.jpg61BfkSL+V-L._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: cmc0619
Excellent ingenuity ! GOOD JOB! I saw this pump on the same website you purchased yours from. You can buy quite a few replacements for the cost of the Stenner. Get a larger tank for the chlorine and your set.

I've added a chlorine pump to my system and have the dosing keep Chlorine level pretty well in range over a week without the need to test. But, the chlorine I use from Pinch-A-Penny raises the chlorine a lot. Any idea why? I hesitate to automate something like ph without a sensor.

Another chemistry question.

Pool Math app recommends I keep my Chlorine levels between 4-8ppm with a low of 4ppm (my CYA is 50). Apart from that being a very large range, that seems like a pretty high chlorine level even at the low end.

The chlorine I try to use (Home Depot HDX) label says to maintain 1.0-3.0 ppm in unstablized pools and 1.0 to 1.5 ppm in stabilized pools. (It further warns DO NOT enter pool until residual is less than 4.0 ppm.)

Why such a discrepancy?

Pool Math is correct, that is what I follow and my levels are just like what you stated. The heat and sun uv rays will eat up 2.5ppm+ in Houston. Add every other daily Houston biological to the pool and you can approach 3.5ppm+ If you follow what is on HDX container ( which I use also) you would be zero chlorine. Ever been to a public pool, I can guarantee you it is well above 4ppm

I use a wifi light switch to control the outlet the stenner is plugged into. the pool pump is controlled but another wifi switch (the wifi switch opens and closes a contactor since the switch can take the inrush from the pump). Makes it easy to change run times and dosing.

Nice job! You might want to change out the clear tubing for black poly tubing so the UV doesn't degrade the chlorine. Also, a container that is UV protected would be recommended for the same reasons.

Good idea, though I do like being able to see the level in the tank on my security camera and also see that fluid is flowing in the tubing. Maybe if I shade the area -- I've been thinking of building a roof on a hinge to keep the sun off the equipment, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.