Liner longevity question

May 11, 2017
Elk River, MN
Our pool was built in 2007- 17 years old. The liner has a 20 year warranty but it has faded a fair amount below the water line (probably due to over-chlorination a few times) and is showing some mild brown staining above the water line (reasons unknown, various remediation attempts had little impact). Despite the warranty, I'm concerned that the liner is closer to it's end-of-life than the warranty implies. It is an IG, outdoor pool in Minnesota but we have an autocover and it is closed at all times except when we are swimming so UV damage should be minimal. I'm looking for guidance on what is a typical longevity expectation for liners in an environment like ours.

Warranties can be difficult, especially if it’s been 17 years. I could see them coming up with a way to weasel out of it. I think that’s a long run for a liner pool, but look forward to others responses who have liners.

Liner warranties are pretty useless. Unless it fails right away, you pay for labor, water and rebalancing. The fact they prorated you a couple hundred bucks off the new liner doesn't help much. It sounds way better on paper.

Some even make you ship the old liner (or safety cover) back, making it not worth it the last several years of the warranty period, erasing any prorated monies.

On the plus side, 17 years is a phenomenal run. Take the win. :)

Reactions: 1poolman1 and kul