Liner Leaking?

jessica0917

Silver Supporter
Jun 8, 2014
Central Iowa
I closed my pool several weeks ago and placed the winter cover and leaf net on it. I decided to get one more year out of my "solid" cover for another season even though I knew some moisture was coming through from the pool water. Last week I noticed the cover seemed lower than it should have been so I checked out the water level near the skimmer and it looked like I had lost around 2 inches from when I shut it down. I figured when I pumped water off the cover (we have had rain almost every day for a month, which is unusual) I was actually pulling some through the cover, so I refilled the pool to just below the skimmer.

Early this week I thought the cover looked low again, without any pumping water off of the cover, and it was back to several inches below the skimmer - and this was with several inches of water on the cover. I never took physics, but I was thinking the weight of water on the cover would push the water in the pool higher? I even tried the evaporation test and the pool lost around 1/2 inch in two days, while the water in the bucket didn't budge. Either way I am now at the point that I presume I have a leak somewhere. I called the place that I purchased it from in 2008 /installed it and they said they were booked solid for new pools and nothing could be done until the spring due to colder weather setting in. I told them I was concerned that if I kept losing water, the sides could collapse. They said, yep, that was a possibility.

If I continue to lose water, is there anything I can do to try to prevent a collapse before winter weather sets in or should I just plan on the possibility of replacing the pool in the spring? Ugh!

Thank you for the reply. It was my understanding the pool water helps to maintain the integrity of the metal pool sides but it sounds like that really isn't the case. I will have a new liner installed in the spring and keep an eye on the sides thru the winter.

I would also get in (water may be colder at this point) with goggles and inspect the walls carefully. You will be surprised what being underwater will show vs. being outside. Or you could allow the leak to stop. As far as wall integrity, not 100% certain. I know my neighbor with his IG had no water for at least a month and nothing happened to his pool, but there is soil and concrete that is supporting the outside.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.