Light replacement issues

Sep 16, 2018
McAllen, TX
I bough a house last year that has a nice 16k gallon pool. The chemistry isn't hard to maintain, so I do that myself (thanks to TFP), but I don't want to even start messing with the electrical components since I would probably kill myself and/or run the equipment. The equipment itself is slightly outdated, so I've been slowly modernizing it. There are two incandescent lights - one in the pool and one in the spa, and both fixtures have water in them and need to be replaced. I got quotes from two pool building companies in my area for Intellibrite LEDs - one company was $950 installed per light, the other was $1300. I had the first company come today to replace the pool light, and now they say the wire is swollen that it can't be pulled through the conduit. They suggested that their electrician take a look at it and attempt installation to the tune of $350, but if that's not possible they have to break the concrete (at which point I could terminate the installation). The second company took a look at it today and said that they could do it as long as they're pulling from inside the pool and not on the deck.

So, what to do TFP? The first company said that it doesn't matter if you pull from the deck or the pool since the wire goes into the light housing at an angle. Both companies are reputable according to friends who have used them.

There are times when a cable will pull through a conduit easier one way than the other, so don't totally discount the second guys statement. Also if you add the first guys electrician cost to their estimate, you're approaching the second guys estimate. Coincidence, I think not!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.