Light fixture replacement - how hard is it really?

Jul 15, 2013
Germantown, TN
I've troubleshot my pool light and I'm certain I need a new fixture. I'm fairly handy around the house. I've replaced pool and booster pumps, changed the sand in my filter, and fixed my pentair power center that powers my Intellichlor by replacing a PC board (even though my local pool store guy insisted that wasn't the problem and said I needed a new $700 power center). :)

I've watched a couple of YouTube videos and the fixture change seems straightforward.
1. Find the connections at the junction box.
2. Disconnect light
3. Attach pull string to end of power cord
4. Pull cable out through the pool
5. Tie pull cord to new fixture cord and pull back to the box
6. Connect new cord to power, reinstall in side of pool.....bingo bango done.

My question, for those of you that have done it....is it really this easy? I've had bad experiences in the past trying to pull cables through conduits. Do the cables normally come out pretty easy or is it a big job trying to get that cable re-pulled? The pool store wants $800 installed....and it looks like the fixture itself is only about $250. I'd love to save $550 if it's a straightforward job.

thanks,
jason

It is a straight forward job, but. When they pull cables through they use a lube on the cable so it goes in smooth. Problem is, that lube congeals over time and can be a real pain pulling the cable out. It took two of us when I changed out my light to get it to come out.

It is a straight forward job, but. When they pull cables through they use a lube on the cable so it goes in smooth. Problem is, that lube congeals over time and can be a real pain pulling the cable out. It took two of us when I changed out my light to get it to come out.

Thanks. One dumb question about the thick black wire that goes from the fixture into the side of the pool wall, through a conduit, and then out a junction box on the side of my house......is water allowed to flow into the conduit? If not, how is the water-tight seal made at the point where the wire enters the conduit? If that's a seal that is supposed to be kept water-tight I could foresee that being a pain in the butt to deal with.

So the light replacement was a success! Thanks for the advice. It's so satisfying doing a job myself for $250 that the local pool store wanted $800 to do. It probably took about 4 times as long as it would have a professional because I was doing a lot of double-checking...but it should go much faster should I ever have to do it again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.