Light came off during the winter

gwtw

Apr 23, 2018
Kentucky
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The light in our pool came off sometime during the winter. It was dangling in the water when we opened up the cover. Water is green so I can't easily put it back on until it clears up. We had a leak in our light niche a few years ago so I'm worried that the high chlorine levels could degrade the butyl tape and pool putty that was used to plug the leak. Is this a valid concern or should it be okay since chlorinated water gets behind the light anyway?

Just falling out isn't a big concern as long as it was just the screws coming loose. If it was freeze damage or degradation of the niche housing, then that would be more serious. Once you can see what is going on you should be able to tell. Chances are it just pulled out of the screw holes. Have you tried it to see if it still works?

It doesn't appear to be working. It never got cold enough for freeze damage so I think the screws just came loose. I'm not concerned about getting it working again since we never use it. I am concerned about the high chlorine levels causing the butyl tape and pool putty to degrade though. After spending hundreds of dollars to get that leak fixed, I don't want to go through it again. I'm getting ready to start a SLAM so chlorine levels are going to be extremely high until it clears up. I've got the light on the deck and it is going to have to stay there until the water clears up enough to fix it.

I assume it is a wet niche then so it makes no difference if the light is in or out.
Thanks! That is what I thought but I wanted to confirm this. I don't want to put my hands in that algae-filled water to re-install the light if the high chlorine levels aren't going to hurt anything. The screws are missing so I hope to find them on the bottom of the pool when the water clears up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.