Leveling ground for above ground pool

I am getting ready to move a sprinkler valve & head. I am going to relocate the underground pipe so it's not under the new pool, I would hate to have it leak and wash out the footing. Then I will put up the retaining wall (6" pressure treated) and put in the QP fill. Do I need to remove the grass or can I just kill it & compact it under the QP?

It is always best to remove any grass with the installation of an above ground pool. Grab grass, nut grasses can wreak havoc down the road. Grass will still rot away and cause soft spots. Its always best to remove any underground sprinkler system as well. Like you said you wouldn't want to have to dig up later on.

Mapoolguy said:
It is always best to remove any grass with the installation of an above ground pool. Grab grass, nut grasses can wreak havoc down the road. Grass will still rot away and cause soft spots. Its always best to remove any underground sprinkler system as well. Like you said you wouldn't want to have to dig up later on.

What he said :-D

Any organic material - dead or otherwise, is going to rot and sink.

Having any sort of utilities (sprinkler, electric feed, water, gas, septic *no no no no no* ) under the pool is not a good idea.

-dave

IN A PANIC
I did as you instructed and now big concern the backfill is so solid, the virgin ground will probably settle more than my backfill (haha)
Seriously, I put up a retaining wall using 6x6 pressure treated and got what the local supplier called 3/4 modified which is a flat 3/4 stone with pulverized stone. I compacted it with a 14" plate compacter in multiple layers as instructed and it feels rock solid. I wound up with about 10" after removing the sod at the deepest end. It will have all winter to settle in to boot. I asked about the 3/4 round & the supplier said he had complaints about it shifting after putting it down. He said the flat 3/4 "locked up" better.
Thanks for your help, I will let you know how it turns out next spring. :goodjob:

Well here we are in spring. I leveled the ground with pulverized stone as advised compacting it every few inches. having pool installed on May 3rd.

Installer came out to inspect site and he wants to go 10 inches below the old pool base (a reminder, I removed a 24 ft round & am installing a 18 x 33 oval so I am going out additional 9 ft x18 where I leveled with 3/4 modified pulverized stone). I just saw his estimate states that he wants to go down that far but I see no reason to go below the original pool base (which is well packed down probably better than any virgin soil that was not under the original pool). I emailed back & said there is no reason to do this. The only reason to go down any is to bring the original pool base down to the backfill I installed & compacted (which shouldn't be needed because I am level to the original base within about 1") and the other reason is to charge me more.

What do you think?

All is ok with leveling but have another question:

I am having pool installed next week, I am going to install a Liner Shield poolpad bought online. also installing foam poolcove so sand won't sit against wall & rot it. The poolpad sits on a bed of sand which will be a few inches deep so that tells me that the sand will still touch the steel sides, should I something (like a tar or other sticky material & put vinyl tarp or something before putting the sand in & attaching the pool cove? I will only go high enough to keep the sand under the poolpad from contacting the side.

Thanks for the replies... :roll: , yes I know this is the "busy" season.

Installers put the pool in yesterday, filled about 1 foot short of full by tonight, will finish filling & installing skimmer & eyeball tomorrow. NO settling noticed, my ground leveling, installed as others here recommended above (thanks again), worked well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.