Leveling Above-Ground Pool without Digging

Yick

Jun 16, 2020
Ontario
Is the *any* to safely level an above-ground pool (Intex/Summer Waves style) without completely digging out the ground? My issue is not that I'm not willing to do the work, the problem is I know 100% that where I want to put the pool this summer is not where I want to have it long term. I'm going to be clearing an area of trees and other debris but I won't be able to it this summer, and I would like the opportunity to use my pool this summer. I have about a 3.5 inch slope in my yard.

I'm new to the world of pools; I thought I could just prop of the low end with blocks but having done more research, I'm worried that will put more stress on the vinyl and risk tearing the seams.

Would appreciate any recommendations. Please be kind, I am new and am learning this ins and outs still.

I say bite the bullet and dig. Next year you can recontour it with the topsoil you'll be digging in the new spot.

I've seen too many threads here wherein the weight of the water compressed the fill and the pool started leaning and they had to drain it all and take it down and fix it. Better to just do it once and be done with it. If you're going to try filling to level it, then you'll need to rent a power tamper and buy some rock. And you'll probably still want to dig down a couple inches to get below the spongy organic topsoil.

Reactions: Yick
Yep, dig. I had a different section of my yard dug and leveled for my first pool, then did same when I decided to go a bit bigger in a different location.

Reactions: Yick
I did it, I dug. It took maybe 6 days; did everything by hand, including sod removal (probably a mistake but honestly a gas-powered sod cutter intimidates me). Smoothed it all out and put down 7x7" paving stones under the supports. It's definitely not perfect and bump-free throughout, but with two heavy duty tarps underneath it's not very noticeable. Just started filling it this evening and the worst difference in level I can find is no more than 1", and honestly it's probably closer to 3/4". I'm really proud of myself as this task was obviously thoroughly outside of my comfort zone, and I appreciate the replies on this thread that gave me the push to just suck it up and do it rather than try to MacGuyver a solution that would've just failed.

Reactions: Msch99
I did it, I dug. It took maybe 6 days; did everything by hand, including sod removal (probably a mistake but honestly a gas-powered sod cutter intimidates me). Smoothed it all out and put down 7x7" paving stones under the supports. It's definitely not perfect and bump-free throughout, but with two heavy duty tarps underneath it's not very noticeable. Just started filling it this evening and the worst difference in level I can find is no more than 1", and honestly it's probably closer to 3/4". I'm really proud of myself as this task was obviously thoroughly outside of my comfort zone, and I appreciate the replies on this thread that gave me the push to just suck it up and do it rather than try to MacGuyver a solution that would've just failed.
:nopic:

• Haha
Reactions: kellyfair
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.