Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I hired a contractor to do the work and he let us check everything with both a 2x4 and regular level as well as with a laser level before paying which I thought was nice. Some of you may have been following my super annoying posts about ground prep. My backyard is massively sloped and we failed at leveling ourselves. We also could not use sand as it would cause washout. We plan on building a retaining wall probably next year. Pool FINALLY goes up tomorrow!! We had to use small gravel as our base. Do you think a heavy duty tarp would be sufficient? I don’t care if the floor isn’t soft; I just don’t want anything poking through the liner but these stones are not sharp at all. We will also be installing pavers under each leg. Anyways, the point of this post is to show photos and I will be updating thread as soon as the pool goes up! Yay! Feel free to give me any advice. We have never done this before and the thought of installing pavers, putting the pool up, and setting up the filter and of course, the skimmer, which scares the h*ll out of me!

Edit: It says photo is too large. I’m going to try to scale it down then I will post. The ground doesn’t look nearly as good/level in the photos as it does in real life!!

Last edited:
Looking good! :goodjob: The small gravel was probably a good choice. You have options to cover it (tarp, insulation panels, padding, etc). Your choice may depend on how aggressive (if at all) your weeds and grasses are in the area. Good luck on the install.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Not worried about the grass or weeds. The area was 90% dead anyways from my dogs running around. I don’t even want to think about a retaining wall right now because I’ll have a panic attack but I do need to start thinking about how to fill around the pool since they dug 21’ all the way around and the pool is only 18’.

Oh I definitely wasn’t going to use mulch. Thank you for the recommendations! I’ll likely go with whatever is cheaper but gets the job done lol. The ground work itself cost more than the actual pool.

Chemicals and my TF-100 testing kit in the white box!! Am I missing anything? We also have 3 bags of HTH brand filter sand in the garage and lots of pavers. I think it’s go time! YAY!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 8825FD77-7FC9-472A-A90C-EBE4F9991C71.jpeg
    8825FD77-7FC9-472A-A90C-EBE4F9991C71.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 0EBF98F1-43DD-475D-8D59-61982EDDF5DB.jpeg
    0EBF98F1-43DD-475D-8D59-61982EDDF5DB.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 263B6B27-94A7-4763-B249-C46E0852171E.jpeg
    263B6B27-94A7-4763-B249-C46E0852171E.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
You indicated you would go with whatever is cheaper for material around the outside of your pool. So why are you buying chemicals at ace instead of the grocery store. You should read Pool School. Just trying to save you some greenbacks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don’t like making a million trips to different stores. Ace was kind of a one stop shop. I’ll pay a little more for that kind of convenience especially when we are in a hurry to get this pool up considering it’s almost August! I’ll go to the grocery store another day lol

Reactions: kimkats
I know you have got to be excited!! I only have a 12 foot pool, but it still took me FOREVER to get the ground level. When I get my bigger pool (hopefully next year) I'm definitely hiring it out. I put river rock around my pool and it looks nice. Good luck on getting everything up and running!!

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Update: We have 10 more pavers to put in the ground today then pool is for sure going up, considering there are no unexpected issues *knock on wood*. I’ll be posting photos throughout the day and probably a plethora of annoying questions so please bear with me lol I’m excited!

@scout123 thank you so much for your kind words! I am BEYOND excited and can’t wait to post more pics to show our progress haha. If all goes smoothly, pool will be fully assembled and we will start filling today!! It’s a 7000 gallon pool so I’m estimating about 12 hours to fill. Hope you have a lovely weekend!! :)

@scout123 thank you so much for your kind words! I am BEYOND excited and can’t wait to post more pics to show our progress haha. If all goes smoothly, pool will be fully assembled and we will start filling today!! It’s a 7000 gallon pool so I’m estimating about 12 hours to fill. Hope you have a lovely weekend!! :)
We're all with ya KB. The entire TFP nation is beyond excited too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.