Let's talk Bar-B-Que

The Mermaid Queen said:
Whoa kurtv... 1 Tbsp of tobasco in place of the Crystal in that Eastern NC recipe would blow my head off, and I lived in SE LA for 30 years!!

The recipes look very good, will probably try some of them. Do you like different sauces for different meat?? if so, which goes with what? What do you use the rub for? everything? Do you use rub and sauce on the same piece of meat, or just one or the other?

I can't get my mind around the first sauce recipe... looks like a bowl of vinegar to me!!

I have not used rubs very much... any my sauce comes out of a bottle... can you tell I am a total amateur?? :razz:

MQ, the first time you squirt a little vinegar-based sauce on some pulled pork, you're hooked. :wink: I found a recipe for a vinegar-based finishing sauce, and we end up just using that by itself.

I have a question for all of the chefs out there.....

I just cooked a Ham on my grill last night for the first time. I hooked it up onto my Rotisserie. Does anyone have any good basting recipes? Next question, should you start basting immediately... or should you cook 3/4's of the way and then start basting?

I basted ours with a Brown Sugar/ Mustard mix with about 30 minutes left to cook. It tasted great but I wonder if it could taste better??????

I probably would have added some cider vinegar or pineapple juice, for a kind of sweet and sour thing.
cloves are good with ham, but probably not with mustard. Pineapple juice, br. sugar and cloves, that is.

Would probably be good if you had injected it with your mixture, and then basted like you did. In my experience, if you baste too soon with a sugary sauce, you end up with a burnt crust, and I don't like burnt flavor, so I try to save basting for the end.

For my ham I like to use a thick glaze to start with all through cooking then finish with a syruppy sauce.
To start:
1-Can of chopped pineapple with the juice
1-Can of fruit cocktail with the juice
1-2 cups dark bown sugar (varies due to how sweet you want it)
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tbsp prepared mustard
1-2 depending on thickness tsp cornstarch
ocassionally I'll add 1/4 cup or less of the finest maple syrup I can find

To Finish
You can make a similar sauce omitting the cornstarch
and
You can nix the fruit cocktail
Use what's left on ham for serving, kids love the fruitcocktail makes them feel like they are getting dessert with their meat. Also when I do this I like to grill yams or sweet potatoes the sauce goes awesome with them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.