LED Light winterization...I need a sanity check here

Neemer

Gold Supporter
Oct 10, 2017
Fredericksburg, VA
I’m a little confused about how to winterize my two LED lights, or if I even need to do anything. I have two of them on opposite ends of the pool, and they are placed at the same level as the returns.

The instructions with the lights say this with regard to winterization:

Swimming pools may or may not be drained completely. If not drained completely, the water level should be lowered below the light and make sure that all water is drained from the wall fitting and conduit. Alternatively, the light may be removed completely, the conduit purged of all water, and a 1.5” NPT male plug with thread sealing tape may be used to close the wall fitting.

I’ve read thru some threads on this forum and I see some people are taking their lights out and placing them on the deck, or sinking them, or doing nothing at all.

I’m going to drain the pool to a level below the returns and lights. To do what the instructions say above, how do I ensure that “all water is drained from the wall fitting and conduit”? Secondly, if there is water in the fitting and conduit, shouldn’t I put some antifreeze in there?

Lastly, if I do what they suggest by removing the lights completely and plugging the fitting, how do I get the wires back thru the conduit in the spring?

Are you closing your pool? Below the skimmer is fine as water will not freeze near the lights or the returns or LED lights. This winter I am going to actually track the temperature over the freezing months and determine how much water (depth and thickness) actually is frozen. I can not image more than 1"-2". If the water in the pool is not frozen, then no damage will occur.

I’m a little confused about how to winterize my two LED lights, or if I even need to do anything. I have two of them on opposite ends of the pool, and they are placed at the same level as the returns.

The instructions with the lights say this with regard to winterization:

I’ve read thru some threads on this forum and I see some people are taking their lights out and placing them on the deck, or sinking them, or doing nothing at all.

I’m going to drain the pool to a level below the returns and lights. To do what the instructions say above, how do I ensure that “all water is drained from the wall fitting and conduit”? Secondly, if there is water in the fitting and conduit, shouldn’t I put some antifreeze in there?

Lastly, if I do what they suggest by removing the lights completely and plugging the fitting, how do I get the wires back thru the conduit in the spring?
I know this is an old thread but what did you end up doing with the lights? I have the same ones and I'm a new pool owner- it will be my first time closing.

There is nothing you can do as water does not run through the electrical lines as part of the regular plumbing. Water could freeze, but I have seen very few instances or heard of issues with freezing water in the lights, etc. The LED (if small) should also be sealed so not water can get behind there.

A lot of pool lights leave 3-4’ of wire wrapped in behind them, inside the niche. In that case you remove the lights and leave them on the pool deck.
I don't think these lights use a niche but I'm not 100% sure. They are small Hayward LED lights. I was wondering if I can just leave them be (same height as the returns) or if I have to take them out (or attempt to) and put them on the pool deck or sink them......My biggest concern is ice forming around the light and possibly ripping it out of it place.

My lights are at the same height as my returns so when I close they will not be under water (until later in the winter when snow melt brings the level back up).
I’ll revive this thread as my question is similar. My led lights are at the same level as my returns. Pool company drained the water just below the returns when closing (about 6" below). I’ve asked them to come back and install the winterization kit that came with the lights. I’m reading the kit instructions and it says that unless the winter kit is installed, water must be drained 12” below the lights. Why 12”? Even if the pool is covered can the water level under the cover rise to the light level and potentially freeze them?

Now i am starting to second guess myself and worried am i opening up a can of worms when i try and get the lights back on next year. I hate anyone mucking around with things that aren't broken and things that are a huge pain to fix later on.

Last edited:
Toronto's weather is different than NJ, or even NY. Draining 12" below the lights in a Vinyl Pool may not be the best idea. I would call the builder and light manufacturer to get more information. If water freezes, it should expand, but I can not tell you if the freezing water will damage the lights.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Toronto's weather is different than NJ, or even NY. Draining 12" below the lights in a Vinyl Pool may not be the best idea. I would call the builder and light manufacturer to get more information. If water freezes, it should expand, but I can not tell you if the freezing water will damage the lights.
Good info, thanks. I called the light manufacturer. They were very helpful and strongly recommended winterizing them using the supplied kits. Two reasons being that if water rises/expands and freezes the covers and possible lights will crack. As well the lights are two years new so long term data has not been gathered, however even though they were made for cold winters the bulbs likely won't last as long if exposed to the frigid temps 5 months a year.

Pool company is coming back to install the kits, based on the instructions it looks quite easy and risk of damage is minimal. Thanks

Older metallic pool walls conduct heat, so hard-packed ice seldom forms at the liner interface. In the dead of winter, I have 6 to 8 inches of ice thickness, but can always fit the fingers of a gloved hand between the liner and the ice wall. The soil temperature at depth remains at 12-15 C year round. It would be interesting to check conduction/ice hardness with resin wall and/or other pool wall materials.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.