Leaving town for a week!

PoolUmp

Silver Supporter
Aug 15, 2016
Bakersfield/CA
hey all! This system has worked great! Thank you for all your help! Went into Leslie's Pool Supply today for some cellulose fiber, and it was kinda awkward since I haven't been in there since I found this system! Awkward, like seeing an ex girlfriend! Lol. Anyway, I have to leave town for a week, and I need some ideas on how to keep my pool looking amazing while I'm gone. Here's my last set of tests:

FC-8
CC-0
CYA-60
PH-7.8
TA-120
CH-250

So, here's what I'm looking at....100+ degree weather all week. I'm currently losing 4-5 PPM FC each day. Adding 1-1 1/2 121oz bottles of 8.25 Walmart bleach each night. How can I possibly maintain appropriate FC for a week? Should I dig out my floater from the garage, and swipe some chlorine tablets from my father-in-law (I gave him all of mine, really made his day!)?

Normally when a pool is going to be unattended for a few days or more it's common to increase the pool to SLAM level for your current CYA (in your case an FC of "24") which will give you a couple good days of FC coverage. You could also get a couple tabs in the water to help. But I have to also note that losing 4-5 ppm of FC in 24 hrs is a bit high. My pool is about 2.5K more than yours and I add about 1/2 gallon each day. You're about to leave for a week, so not much you can do right now I suppose ("if" a SLAM was required). But when you get back, you might want to do an overnight (OCLT) test to ensure you don't have a bit of algae somewhere. Have a good trip.

As TexasSplash has said the best thing you can do is take it up to SLAM level and/or add some tabs. But the tabs will add CYA. If your already on the higher end you start sailing close to the wind as you then subsequently need to maintain a higher FC to keep algae at bay.

If you go below the minimum recommended FC level you not only risk getting algae but then the prospect of SLAMming at a higher FC level or draining- neither of which are much fun.

Having said that a couple of days is probably a lot easier than a week.

You could also choose a friendly neighbour or relative to put some bleach every couple of days or so.

TexasSplash - are you saying that if you leave for more than a couple days there's not much you can do?
My only reason for that comment was "if" there was any algae beginning requiring a SLAM. Since a SLAM could take several days, an owner probably wouldn't want to start a SLAM just before leaving. But the increased FC and pucks can be used now, and after the trip consider doing an overnight (OCLT) test to ensure there's not an algae issue in its early stages.

Depends on the tab, but if it was a standard 3" trichlor tab, one tab might increase CYA by almost 2ppm. You can check more options on the Poolmath calculator towards the bottom where it says "Results of adding chemicals". Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.