LEAVES!!!!

GatorMom6

Jun 29, 2019
North Carolina
Hey all! So long story short....my pool water chemistry is spot on. Opened, used floc (as last resort!), can now see the bottom. I have a few piles of leaves on the bottom. Should I scoop those out before vacuuming or after vacuuming the bottle? Also will the floc resettle after doing this? I’m not to happy about vacuuming the piles because it’s gonna clog my hose up.

We have different methods of chemistry balance here. Floc is not recommended as it can gum up your filters. So I don’t know if anyone can tell you if netting out the leaves will disturb your floc.

You need to vacuum the floc to waste to avoid getting it in your filters. When you vacuum leaves they get caught in your skimmer basket (if you have a vacuum plate on an inground pool skimmer) or your pump basket (if you don’t). Then you have to stop vacuuming and clean the leaves out. Netting means you won’t have to do that.

Reactions: PoolGate
The floc should resettle.
Try not to disturb the water as much as you can so it does it as fast as possible.
Once everything settles back down, vacuum to waste.

Hey all! So long story short....my pool water chemistry is spot on. Opened, used floc (as last resort!), can now see the bottom. I have a few piles of leaves on the bottom. Should I scoop those out before vacuuming or after vacuuming the bottle? Also will the floc resettle after doing this? I’m not to happy about vacuuming the piles because it’s gonna clog my hose up.

Gator,

Welcome to TFP! Yes get as much junk out as you can. Usually you can get the leaves out with a net at the end of the pole. Takes a little patience and slow technique but this will avoid the clogged hose. The floc should settle then you can vacuum it out very slowly. Or eventually it will be removed in your filter.

So when you say "spot on" chemistry what do you mean? Can you please post a complete set of results and let us know what test kit you are using. As mentioned previously, we use a very easy to follow methodology for pool maintenance that is not what you hear about at most pool stores or chemical labels. It's based on proven science and ten's of thousands of pool owners use it successfully. Please click on the link below for a quick overview for beginners and then if you're interested in using this method read further in Pool School via the link on the left. Also, please fill in the information about your pool in your "signature". Click on your screen name above right, click "signature" and type the info in the box then press Save. This will then appear at the bottom of every post so you won't have to answer the questions time and time again. Also, if you have a problem we can usually get you very specific advice quicker.

I hope this is helpful and good luck!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.