Leaves in pump basket, but they get sucked back before I can get it open.

elcangrejo

Aug 13, 2022
North Texas
First post here.

In North Texas, pump running on freeze protection.

I noticed bubbles coming from one jet and looked in the top of the pump and saw lots more air than usual. Replaced O-Ring and greased it up good. Still bubbles and air.

Checked the skimmers, which are usually empty, but we have had lots of wind and 100 times more stuff has been blowing into the pool from neighboring yards the past couple days. I've been trying to use my net to get them up whenever I remember.

Anyway, one skimmer had a few leaves. The other had the basket floated up and a bunch of leaves beneath the basket. I tried to reach in an pull as as many as I could as quick as possible. But, many still went to the pump. Turn the pump off and pop the top and the leaves all get sucked back into the lines. How can I get these out?

Last edited:
Alright, I knew asking for help was going to fix it. I went back out and there were no bubbles coming out of the jet, but still plenty of leaves in pump basket.

I had my rubber mallet in hand and flipped the power switch and was able to get the top off in time to get my hand in before the leaves and water drained back into the plumbing.

Now I'm waiting for it to fire back up to see if I have full flow from all 3 sheer descents....

Reactions: Newdude
As for the leaves- you just empty what you can, what’s in the pipes will eventually make it’s way fully into the pump basket at some point.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
For those of us without valves, I got this tip here a few years ago -- with a variable speed pump, manually turn it down to a low setting (~800 RPM works for me), then take the cover off before turning off the pump.. At a low speed you'll have plenty of time to do so without it running dry.

I just like to clear them because otherwise you do all that work, and as soon as you turn the pump back on it there are leaves in the basket again and it looks like you didn't do anything :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.