Leathered Vs. Honed Travertine?

Classic Muscle

Aug 23, 2021
St. Petersburg, FL
We have a $2-3M luxury waterfront home in Florida with a pool/spa behind it. Currently have a GC laying down all new travertine around the rear of house and pool area. When we chose samples, we picked a travertine with smooth or honed finish which is also what we have at our other house up in North Carolina, and are used to. That said, the GC apparently ordered "leathered" travertine so it has a rough finish on the top and is not perfectly smooth.

Is this an upgrade? Should we have any concerns about having leathered vs a smooth finish around the pool area? I have seen smooth travertine used 80-90% of the time and was just caught off guard by this? I am surprised the GC didn't ask us before placing this order.

Hey CM !!! I don’t see a lot of travertine by me, but I have seen lots of it used here. Many times the smooth finish is very slippery once it and the people walking on it are wet. It sounds to me like your builder chose them for the better traction. You are free to be upset that anything was changed without consulting you first, but I bet if he had explained it, you probably would have agreed.

Can you even tell at a distance or do you have to closely inspect it to see ?

Always a great idea to question any concerns !! Hang tight for some local folks to see this and weigh in. Post some pics in the meantime if you can. :)

Wow. That’s plenty beautiful in its own right. :)

Your tastes will determine if you like it too, but the streak continues. I’ve yet to see one I didn’t like.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.