Leaky Plunger Valve

TERRIEG

Jul 5, 2019
Sheffield Village, Ohio
I have a 22' x 52" Coleman (basically Intex) pool that's 2 years old. I had this problem last year, but this year it seems to be worse and I'd really rather not have to drain to below the part to replace it if I can help it, though if the consensus is that the part is faulty (as opposed to me just not knowing what I'm doing, which is entirely possible) I can do that. My fear is that I'll buy a new part, drain, replace and find out that this is just something I don't understand how to tighten down.

It's leaking from the TOP of the (I think it's called) plunger valve. It only leaks when the pump is NOT running. I've fiddled with it and don't see where I can tighten this thing down. Seems to be some sort of, I don't know, overflow valve or something but the pool is full barely to the top of the valve so it's not over-filled.

If you look close you can see a solid, small, stream of water coming out but it's enough to make my yard swampy next to the pool even though I'm running the pump 12 hrs on/12 hours off.

I have an Intex pool and the weight of the plunger was causing the whole thing to lean downwards and after a while, it would start to leak no matter how much I tighten it. so I attached a bungee cord to it and wrapped it around the pole that goes around the pool so that it's no longer leaning. It doesn't leak anymore. maybe that might work for you?

I have an Intex pool and the weight of the plunger was causing the whole thing to lean downwards and after a while, it would start to leak no matter how much I tighten it. so I attached a bungee cord to it and wrapped it around the pole that goes around the pool so that it's no longer leaning. It doesn't leak anymore. maybe that might work for you?
Was yours around where it connects to the pool wall? Because mine isn't. It's a the top.

Unscrew the leaky part and check the condition of the o-ring. It should be smooth without any nicks, pinched spots or tears. It should not be stretched out or gummy. If it looks in good shape try putting some silicone pool lube on it and screw it back in. Do not over tighten as that may crack the fitting and damage the threads. It should have come with a black rubber cap. If you can find it you can cap it off when the pump is off.

Last edited:
I can't get the leaky part off. @zea3 I don't have a rubber cap for it but this may be the result of having a crew of 20-somethings assemble the pool. Do you know the purpose of this part? It doesn't leak when the pump is running so I'm wondering if I can just cap it off with maybe saran wrap and tape, but it would be capped all the time, not just when the pump is off.

It is the aeration valve that some of the newer filters have. All it does is inject air into the pool, (and probably raise pH all the time). It should not leak. You should be able to just remove the part that houses the aerator and replace it with a regular wall fitting, and the plunger valve will screw into that. Which pump/filter combo do you have? I'll find some pictures to post to show you how you can use the plunger valve without that part.

This is what you currently have, shown disassembled. Amazon.com: Intex 26004E Above Ground Swimming Pool Inlet Air Water Jet Replacement Part Kit: Garden & Outdoor The actual plunger valve screws into the strainer assembly with the small hole for the aerator valve.

This is what you would replace it with to take the aerator out of the equation, but unfortunately they are sold out everywhere online. https://supershop.store/products/on...gksYUWjBImO88KJEnMJfhsotdE8vztNhoCi_wQAvD_BwE

At this point you can rig something up to stop the leak or you can replace the whole darn thing and tell the teens not to crank on it so hard to install. I would use rubberized plumbers tape to wrap the aerator and close it off.

I tried to remove it before but was afraid to twist too hard because I wasn't sure it was supposed to come off. But I just put some elbow grease into it and sure enough it does come off. It's basically a cap with holes on top to let air in, which is then letting water out when the pump is off. So I think I'm just going to cover the hole with saran wrap and put the cap back on rather than try to find a physical cap for it. To answer your question I have a sand filter/pump.

This is what you currently have, shown disassembled. Amazon.com: Intex 26004E Above Ground Swimming Pool Inlet Air Water Jet Replacement Part Kit: Garden & Outdoor The actual plunger valve screws into the strainer assembly with the small hole for the aerator valve.

This is what you would replace it with to take the aerator out of the equation, but unfortunately they are sold out everywhere online. https://supershop.store/products/on...gksYUWjBImO88KJEnMJfhsotdE8vztNhoCi_wQAvD_BwE

At this point you can rig something up to stop the leak or you can replace the whole darn thing and tell the teens not to crank on it so hard to install. I would use rubberized plumbers tape to wrap the aerator and close it off.
Thank you! I'm just going to remove the aerator, cover the hole with saran wrap, then screw the aerator back on.

I hope it stops your leak. I don't know why they added those things to the strainer. Does the hole look small enough to plug with a wine cork, in case the saran wrap doesn't hold?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, Intex says this:
The air jet valve is leaking water when the filtration pump is not running, what should I do?
Leaking is caused when the air jet valve inner seal is broken or dirty due to air pollution. Turn on the pump so that the water will not leak. Unscrew the air jet valve to check if the seal is deformed or missing. Clean the air jet valve with water. Replace the air jet valve if problem persists. Place the valve cap on the leaking air jet valve to stop the leaking when pump is not operating, while waiting for the new air jet valve replacement. It is normal if there is some water dripping while the pump is off or the aeration system hasn't been used for a long time.

Reactions: MrsGram1974
You aren't, by chance using this fitting for the suction side, are you? The side that goes to the filter? It should be on the side that goes back to the pool, the return side.
No it’s where water comes out into the pool. Thanks for checking though. It’s totally something I’d do. All fixed.

Attachments

• 4230126A-109D-40C5-B95E-AA67F69DADDA.jpeg
    4230126A-109D-40C5-B95E-AA67F69DADDA.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 12
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.